+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello! from Illinois...

Default Hello! from Illinois...

Hello everyone! just wanting to say hi before joining...

i am new to this hobby and friendly forums such as AOS prompted me to join..i have no background in electronics what so ever but has managed to diy some tube amps and speakers with the help of folks such you guys...im looking forward to learn and have fun at the same time...its nice to meet you all.

Current system,
    homemade pp 6v6(audiotropic music machine)
    pioneer dv300 as transport
    cs4397(lampucera) dac with 6n6p tube output stage
    diy lightspeed attenuator
    telefunken 8", saba green cone tweetr, 15" woofer on open baffle(all alnico)
    walmart zipcord speaker cable and IC

I'm Nick.

Hi Nika - welcome to AOS! So what music do you listen to on your system? Sounds like you have some interesting kit there. The speakers sound particularly special
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Hi Nika - welcome to AOS! So what music do you listen to on your system? Sounds like you have some interesting kit there. The speakers sound particularly special
    Hi beech,

i mostly listen to almost anything really! i like jazz, classical, pop, rock, reggae, acoustic music..except rap with a few exception..i think im the only 25yo who doesn't have that much fondness in rap music.

the speakers are just fabulous...i recently went to a local shop to listen to some wilson sophias and see what the fuss is all about...They just don;t have the emotion n soul that grabs me like my ob does...not that the sophias are not good they are just not for me...

i want to connect to the music and the sophias diidn't cut it for me...

the speakers were based from the lampizator website!with some changes to fit my taste..

i bet your set up sounds really nice! Wow....

nika

I'm Nick.

It's great to have some young blood with an interest in DIY. I think you'll be right at home with the other DIY-heads on here! You'll have seen some of the other OB projects posted here?

Thanks for your comments Nika... My system came about with much of a design. I came to it from an interest in reel to reel sources, tape decks and recorders, and the rest was more of an afterthought, though that's getting more attention now. Good vintage sound without breaking the bank might be a good summary
    Nick
    My system...

hi beech,

im going through each thread right now and im just enjoying myself! i can see that you have a lot of stuff which has a pro audio heritage if im not mistaken...wow id like to have some just like that someday too.

im also interested on reel to reel but lack of funds stalled the project..im particulary enamored with bottlehead r2r gears...

how does your system sound like? i know it sounds nice..but id just like to know what improvements do yuo need to make or if theres any?

I'm Neil.

Hi Nika

Welcome to AOS. Have fun.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Nick.

To be honest I'm happy with the sound I've got now. I like the sense of air and space I can get with my system, playing vinyl or off reel. Most of my listening is done at relatively low levels so I don't need or get the slam you get with the best speaker systems. If I had more time I'd play with speaker placement, and if I had more money I'd get the neighbours to move out and play my kit louder!

You should be able to find a nice r-r for not too much money in the states. They always seem to be half the price of machines over here. Some of the old valve reel to reel machines are lovely. I've often gazed lustily at the Ferrograph Series 6 - a bit big but built like a battleship...

Only problem is frequency response
    Nick
    My system...

+ Reply to Thread