+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Forum

I'm Kenneth.

Default New to Forum

Just joined, was directed over here from diy Audio.

I am rebuilding 2 Technics Sl1200MK's and will read up on what mods I can do to them.

Thanks, Kenny

I'm David.

Hi Kenny, welcome to AOS what music do you like to listen to?

MartinT Guest

Hi Kenny and welcome to AoS. Lots of us have gone down the modded 1200/1210 route so take a look in the Techiepedia and enjoy.

I'm Kenneth.

mr sneff, thanks for the welcome. I have about 3500 records and there is none of them very new releases. I also have CD's, cassettes, 8 tracks and reel to reels.

I mostly listen to oldies of the 50's, 60's and 70's. A lot of my records are from thrift stores, relatives and ones I bought starting in 1964 and going into the early 80's.

I also have a Technics SL1300, Dual 1019, Pioneer PL41, Realistic Benjamin Miracord Elac 40A , and 2 Empire 598's (598 and 598III). They are all in very good condition.

I wanted a SL1200MK2 for quite a while and bought a SL1200MK2 and SL1200M2D from a young DJ guy. I think he has better turntables than these 2 and just wanted to get some money so was selling these. They aren't in too bad a shape. The MK2 has a new tonearm, but the que lever is broke off and the base has had the paint ground off. The M2D the arm is pretty loose and bad shape. But both start good, hold their speed good and stop good. Had to adjust both for pitch and braking, but both work good now. I took the good arm off of the MK2 and put it on the M2D, so I have one good table now. Ordered parts from KAB to rebuild both of them. Once I get them both working to factory specs I will figure out what to do to mod them. I am going to start with the MK2 rebuild first.

Kenny
    Last edited by Kenny Brant; 18-01-2014 at 02:54.

I'm Kenneth.

Thank you MartinT.

I am going to take the MK2 all apart and start the rebuild by painting the Plinth a lighter green. Rewire the tonearm, dampen it and change the pitch plate to black. I bought a new black tonearm for it. Put the screw on damper on the back of the tonearm. I am not going to spend a crazy amount of money right now, just want it up and running to spec.

Both turntables came with dustcovers. I took a buffer to one cover and it came out nice, did not get all of the scratches out but most of them. Put hinges on and a new 1/4 inch rubber mat.

I have used a Stanton 681eee with Pickering D625, a Realistic RXP3 with n97xe stylus, Shure m91ed with Pfanstiehl n91ed stylus, Shure m91ed with Pfanstiehl n95ed stylus shimmed to fit, and a Audio Technica VS210E with a Pfanstiehl .2mil x .7mil stylus. The best to my ears is the Stanton, then Realistic, then Shure m91ed with n95ed, then Shure m91ed with n91ed, then the AT. That is just my opinion, others are sure to disagree. I'd like to try my Shure V15 Type VMR with Jico SAS stylus and Dynavector DV20XH that is now on my Empire 598 and 598III right now to see how they sound on the tables.

I do like the sound of the SL1200M3D, but it does have it's problems sound wise. Once I get it up and running correctly I will start tweaking for better sound. I plan to take it apart also and paint it Hammered Copper.

Kenny
    Last edited by Kenny Brant; 18-01-2014 at 12:22.

MartinT Guest

Nice one, Kenny. If you want an instant upgrade for little money, start with a better mat than the Technics rubber one. Several members have reported that the Stanton sounds good on the Technics. You should also look at careful placement. If you can't afford Isonoe feet (the best), then make sure the platform is well isolated as the stock feet do little to prevent vibrations getting through to the deck (also run the deck without the dust cover for the same reasons). It'll clean up the sound no end.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Brant View Post
    Just joined, was directed over here from diy Audio.

I am rebuilding 2 Technics Sl1200MK's and will read up on what mods I can do to them.

Thanks, Kenny
    Hi Kenny and welcome to AOS. You've come to the right place for Technics advice, there seem to be a few members who have tweaked theirs quite extensively. The key mods seem to be to the bearing, platter, mat, power supply and feet.

Lawrence

I'm Kenneth.

Thanks Guys for the info. I already bought the rubber mats (1/4 inch) from KAB but will look into the Stanton. Both units had slip mats only. Used the SL1300 mat until I got the KAB's.

I've already had the M3D apart 3 or 4 times fixing the anti skating problem ( have it working fine now).

These tables are really easy to work on. I took the fixing plate completely apart, cleaned it, lubed it and put it back together just to find out the anti skating was wound too tight. But kept adjusting the anti skating knob (taking the knob off and adjusting the gear) until I finally got it to work good. Of course you have to take the turntable apart and remove the arm to do this. Also had to fix the stuck VTA adjuster.

When I take the MK2 completely apart and get the plinth painted I will decide what mods to do before putting it back together.

A pretty nice turntable, not great but not too bad. A pretty good design.

Haven't had any vibration problems with the turntable, seems to be pretty good isolation wise, at least in my setup. I've never had any problems with feedback on my system with any turntables. I know I need better feet for the Mk's and will address that when I start putting the first one back together.

Have some work to do to get them back into shape. It's a fun project that I enjoy. And when done a feel of accomplishment and satisfaction. That's how I felt when I rebuilt my Empires, took three turntables to make two good ones.

Kenny

I'm martin.

Howdy and welcome.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

+ Reply to Thread