+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help wanted: New speakers for a small room

I'm Geoff.

Tannoy System 800 nearfield monitors. My listening room is about the same size and the little Tannoys sound truly marvellous in it. You won't find anything that images better and they sound super clean with plenty of weight. Mind you my big Tannoy Chatsworths work just as well in the same modest room.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Tannoy System 800 nearfield monitors. My listening room is about the same size and the little Tannoys sound truly marvellous in it. You won't find anything that images better and they sound super clean with plenty of weight. Mind you my big Tannoy Chatsworths work just as well in the same modest room.

Interesting, Geoff. I actually have a pair of Tannoy Reveal passive studio monitors that I use for monitoring and mixing and, in that context, I'm perfectly happy with them. I have tried them in my listening room and, even as far away from the wall as I can manage and with bungs in the rear ports, I find them too bass heavy.

I'm Geoff.

Rear ported speakers are a nightmare in small rooms. My very good Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Mk.II speakers just could not be got right in here.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm peter.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    The RS1's are cute looking things to say the least! Are they power hungry speakers or decent enough to power from a humble amp?

S.
    hi shane I wouldn't say they were power hungry imho.my brio 3 runs them no probs whatsoever even when listening at low volume.

I'm Rob.

A few I have used in small(er) rooms:
    ATC SCM7
    ATC SCM10
    Keesonic Kolt
    Rega R1
    Rega Alya

Out of those, the Alyas (that I currently have) are probably the best all round being relatively easy to drive, nice tight bass, work close to rear wall (depite rear port) and good overall balance. I felt they do better than the R1s I had previously.
    The ATCs tend to like a bit more power although I had good results with the SCM10 and a T-Amp in a very small 8ft square room.
    The Kolts are very good too, love mine but very hard to find.
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12