+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi All....

I'm James.

Default Hi All....

Hi All,

My names James, I'm in Brighton and work from home, for Openreach in BI.

I have 3 setups:

Lounge, optimised for movies: Onkyo TX-NR609 AV amp bi-amp'ed to Kef Q35 mains, MShort rears and centre, Tannoy Sub, 46" Bravia. Feed from, Raspberry Pi Squeezebox, Apple TV, Xbox360, NAD525 with a busted display .

Office, optimised for working from home and music: Mac Mini 2013, Audirvana and loads of 96kHz music, (New to me) Beresford TC-7510, Onix OA21 (custom built to fit in two boxes), Silver cable and Celestion Impact 10s... need speaker upgrade!!!

Kitchen: optimised for cooking: Squeezebox Duet, old den non Amp rubbish gail speakers.

On a side note..... Raspberry Pi makes a fantastic streamer.... HDMI out into my amp.. plays 24/192kHz files and sounds better than all my other sources by far.. and was £30!!!

I'm ILOB.

Welcome James
    What music do you listen too
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Keith.

Hi James - a warm welcome to AoS from me too.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm David.

Hi James, welcome to AOS

I'm James.

Thanks for the welcome!

Hmmm, music, tricky, I think a potted history best explains things....

I'm 40 so I Started off with 70/80's UK Punk when it was already old (Crass, Conflict, SubHumAns, Anti Nowhere League, New Modal Army) moved onto goth, (Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Cristian Death).

Then off to Uni in Brighton where the Hungry Years got me into to Metal with Metallica, AC/DC ext (but none of the glam stuff).

Then something odd happened .... KLF and The Prodigy ... suddenly I got into Dance music in a big way and started producing too. (although not up to a very good standard).

So... all was settled for a while, little bit of Punk/Goth, more classic metal/rock (Doors, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Led Zep, Jethro Tull) New rock (Offspring, Nirvana) Dance (Fat boy slim, Orb, Orbital, Prodigy) some odd stuff that doesn't fit anywhere like Alabama 3, then I got wife singing lessons as a present.

My wife and I soon befriended her singing teacher,, and got into (EDIT: Got into as in "listened to" but also Got into as in were part of) her Soul band (I played Percussion, Congas mainly), I married my sister off to the drummer and suddenly I was playing and enjoying all the really great musical influences that inspired, it seams, the whole music industry. (Stevie Wonder, Etta James, Niona Simone, John Coletane, Aretha Franklin, Michail Jackson)

I now play with a Jazz band occasionally but I'm just learning so am not quite up to performing live with them... Oh, and have 2 young kids so no time to practice!

That about sums it up.... Oh, I forgot, all the way though these evolutions I have held true to Pink Floyd who remain my favourite.

I'm Shane.

Interesting journey by an unusual route!
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm andy.

Very apt user name, car crash of a journey to get here but you made it.

N'joy.
    Frank...made me do it.

+ Reply to Thread