+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Record Weight on a Techie

I'm Mike.

Default Record Weight on a Techie

What is the consensus of experience here with using a Record Weight or a Record Puck on a Technics TT? I plan to use a weight of <400 grams made of aluminum. I am looking for a weight that does not suck the life out of a record. Does using a record weight take away the life of the record or does it keep it while help mitigating warps? Does the weight and type of material matter when trying to retain the life of a record when using a record weight?

On one turntable, I have the Mike New AL/CU Copper Platter with Achromat mat using an SME V, and the stock platter with copper mat (my avatar) on another (that one uses the SME 309). Both TTs use the Mike New Bearing and Baseplate.

CM1
    Anyone who thinks CDs sound better needs to listen to my system. Besides, my cables sound better than yours.

Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-1: MN Bearing + Baseplate + AL/CU Platter, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME V, Audio Technica AT33EV, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable
    Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-2: MN Bearing + Baseplate, Copper Mat, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME 309, Audio Technica ATOC9/MLII, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable

I'm Confused.

I seem to recall that Jerry (jandl100) held a mini bake off using different weights on a TT (can't remember which TT) and the heaviest, just short of 800grms IIRC, was deemed to be the best, SQ wise. I use a Mitchell record clamp, much lighter in weight (so very little extra weight on the bearing) but firmly locates the LP on my Techie platter.
    I thought the improvement over and above the use of the 800grm weight was quite noticeable.
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    I use a Mitchell record clamp, much lighter in weight (so very little extra weight on the bearing) but firmly locates the LP on my Techie platter.
    I thought the improvement over and above the use of the 800grm weight.
    Dave.
    Very pleased to hear that Dave! I have ordered a Michel that will arrive soon. The reason I have done that is than I consider large weight on the bearing to be a bad thing - though people with heavy weights do not seem to report problems.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Michel clamp user here too.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

MartinT Guest

For <400g weight, the aluminium Bruil is a bargain.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

+1. The Bruil weight makes for a rather musically satisfying sound on the Techy. Personally, I don't usually like anything heavier (as it tends to cause a somewhat 'thick' and ponderous sound), although for the short time I heard your Stillpoints, it didn't seem to be doing anything much wrong

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ChrisB.

..... a Mitchell....
    ....Michel.....
    ....Michel....
    I don't normally point out spelling errors, but three of you in a row and you're all owners of Michell products too! It's got to be some sort of record.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I don't normally point out spelling errors, but three of you in a row and you're all owners of Michell products too! It's got to be some sort of record.
    I pressed the "L" button twice.
    One of the presses was obviously not sufficient to register
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    It's got to be some sort of record.
    No surely the Michell is the clamp and the record is the thing being clamped

Did I really make that joke? Sorry.......

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    +1. The Bruil weight makes for a rather musically satisfying sound on the Techy. Personally, I don't usually like anything heavier (as it tends to cause a somewhat 'thick' and ponderous sound), although for the short time I heard your Stillpoints, it didn't seem to be doing anything much wrong

Marco -

Did you get a chance to compare the Bruil with the Michel Record Weight? If so, what are your thoughts?

And did you get my PM I sent to you the other day?
    Anyone who thinks CDs sound better needs to listen to my system. Besides, my cables sound better than yours.

Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-1: MN Bearing + Baseplate + AL/CU Platter, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME V, Audio Technica AT33EV, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable
    Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-2: MN Bearing + Baseplate, Copper Mat, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME 309, Audio Technica ATOC9/MLII, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast