+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shanes Roksan Xerxes turntable vers Project RPM10

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Rob, can I disagree a little please?

I owned a Decca London "Blue" for a while back in the seventies and although this one worked in a conventional arm quite well (Dual 1229 - I'm a fan in case you hadn't noticed ), I wouldn't recommend it. The R200 loves other things much better IMO...

My current Decca Gold Microscanner has the Martin Bastin version of the DeccaPod and when working right it was VERY much better behaved with superlative tracking (of music anyway). I used it with the Mentor deck and arm - the two were designed with the Decca and other neutral to lively cartridges in mind and the sound was stunningly "vivid." I've had the thing re-built and I await the day when I can utilise it again. I would NOT put this one in the Dual 701 - totally unsuitable.

To re-cap Shane, don't bother with a Decca. get a good OC9 instead..

I'm not a big fan of the OC9, But I'm tempted to maybe try the 33PTG though. (I've never heard it) and don't know how it will sound compare to an OC9??

Also, we have an old Grado FCE+1 that's in very good condition, and we have a genuine spare stylus for it too. Might give the Grado a try tonight. If not, then it will just have to be the Denon DL160.

Oh well, only time and ears can tell

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

No *just* about the 160 Shane - trust me.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

No *just* about the 160 Shane - trust me.....
    Will try the DL160

We applied the Denon DL160 (Tracked at 1.8g) on to the Rega R200 arm. What a massive improvement over the A&R C77 cartridge!!!!!!!!

Best is to really stick with the Denons, I do have a curiosity about the Audio Technica 33PTG. Is there any UK dealers selling this cartridge? Will this 33PTG be an improvement over the Denon?

I have been seeing this 33PTG cartridge selling on ebay from Japan for over £200.00.

Cheers
    Last edited by speakers-1989; 13-06-2009 at 21:29.

I'm Rob.

The AT33 is better than the DL110 or DL160.
    It isn't a UK model though so you'll have to import it.

I'm Rob.

Rob, can I disagree a little please?

I owned a Decca London "Blue" for a while back in the seventies and although this one worked in a conventional arm quite well (Dual 1229 - I'm a fan in case you hadn't noticed ), I wouldn't recommend it. The R200 loves other things much better IMO...
    Absolutely Dave, I wasn't suggesting the R200 is the best match, simply that it would work reasonably well.
    Ideally I think you want plenty of mass, slightly 'lossy' construction and perhaps some fluid damping.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by speakers-1989 View Post
    We applied the Denon DL160 (Tracked at 1.8g) on to the Rega R200 arm. What a massive improvement over the A&R C77 cartridge!!!!!!!!
    The DL-160 is great value for money and does most things well and soundstaging superbly. It's my favourite cartridge for around the £100 mark.

The AT33PTG is on another level, though; it extends both ends of the frequency range, has even better dynamics and extracts a wealth of micro-detail from the grooves. It also tracks like a hound.

To be honest, the DL160 is the best cartridge I have ever heard. It will still be interesting to hear the AT33PTG. Is this one of AT top cartridges?

Plus, when the AT33PTG stylus wears out , will this have to be sent back to Japan for a Re-tip or an exchange?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The DL160 was around a ton until our exchange rate plummeted. Now it's around £160 (still over £100 cheaper than the Dynavector 10XV, which, in an earlier life, cost much the same).

I don't know if the ebay prices on the PTG are sane and kosher, but it's one heck of a cartridge. If you do buy one and like it Shane - get a decent headshell for it though -, and the arm is at the wrong height when it's set up, don't despair. Just get in touch with Audio Origami and I'm sure Jonny could make you a brass spacer the right thickness, using the standard Rega one as a template
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

How much can Rega R200 headshells sell for? Be nice to have a 2nd headshell and put a different cartridge on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast