+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Audiocom Mods & Services"

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Hi Mark,

Will you be stocking any more components available to the diyers? suppliers in the UK seems to be getting fewer and fewer today, I mainly have to import stuff I need from the US etc now

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Reason I built a diy dac using the TDA1541A S2, this oldie is still the best sounding chip available IMHO but the S2 is getting rare as hens teeth, I was lucky getting mine.
    Attention to the regulation, active I/V output stage and jitter rewards you with some fantastic sounds with this chip
    And don't I know it!!!

Marco.

I'm Mark.

Hello Marco

One the point of upsampling, this has been a hi-fi buzzword for some time now and the merits of those who have heard the effects on the sound are divided. Certainly no additional data is created with upsampling that is not present in the original signal it can only serve to create an illusion whether rightly or wrongly. The best option with upsampling is an option to turn on or off so the listener can decide. There a several manufacturers who have chosen not to use upsampling, Naim with the CD555, the Audio Research CD7 makes no mention of it that I can find.

Regardless of upsampling, oversampling, etc, there are few high grade OEM transport mechanisms available for any manufacturer to use, aside from the Teac Esoteric NEO and lesser Philips CD PRO-2. Almost every OEM is stuck with using cheap plastic Sony, Teac units that have poorer build than many entry level player mechanisms of the 1980’s.

Regards,
    Mark

I'm Mark.

Hi Leo

If you are going to build a DIY then there is no better start then a pair of TDA1541 S2’s. We have also found the I/V converters for this DAC are crucial to performance as is the quality of the regulated DC supplies.

We are aiming to expand our DIY range of audio components in coming months but the line-up is uncertain.

Best Wishes
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Audiocom View Post
    Hello Marco

One the point of upsampling, this has been a hi-fi buzzword for some time now and the merits of those who have heard the effects on the sound are divided. Certainly no additional data is created with upsampling that is not present in the original signal it can only serve to create an illusion whether rightly or wrongly.
    Now that's very interesting, Mark, and something I've always thought myself. It makes me wonder that if upsampling doesn't reveal additional data then why bother pissing around with the signal in the first place? It's a waste of time, as far as I'm concerned, and imparts a sonic signature that is definitely not to my taste.

The best option with upsampling is an option to turn on or off so the listener can decide.
    Indeed, however, a better option again might be not to bother including it and just make a decent Red Book player in the first place!

There a several manufacturers who have chosen not to use upsampling, Naim with the CD555, the Audio Research CD7 makes no mention of it that I can find.
    Yes, and what about Esoteric, Zanden and Wadia? I don't believe they use it either - certainly Zanden don't. 'Keep it simple stupid' is I think a great motto with hi-fi, as long as high quality parts are used in the first place. It's very much like cooking: the simplest recipies containing the best quality ingredients usually produce the best results!

Regardless of upsampling, oversampling, etc, there are few high grade OEM transport mechanisms available for any manufacturer to use, aside from the Teac Esoteric NEO and lesser Philips CD PRO-2. Almost every OEM is stuck with using cheap plastic Sony, Teac units that have poorer build than many entry level player mechanisms of the 1980’s.
    Exactly, and that's why most of them use the CD PRO-2. Out of curiosity, how would you say it compares to the transport in the X-777ES? I know the NEO is excellent, though. Transport quality matters big time.

Marco.

I'm Mark.

Hello Marco

Although the Philips CD PRO-2 is a complete CD mechanism ready to go it has been designed to allow manufacturers to implement their own mechanics for disc loading, disc clamping, etc. In fact some manufacturers like Electrocompanient with the EMC-1 have discarded the aluminium housing in favour of their own heavier, plated steel version. Comparing the CD PR0-2 to the die-cast mechanism used in the Sony x-777ES the Sony is superior in engineering terms. The Sony transport is ultra-low resonance and you also have to consider that the Sony is complete with CD tray that operates with the finesse of a Swiss watch and is near silent when loading and CD’s.

Regards,
    Mark

That's all interesting stuff to know, Mark!

and you also have to consider that the Sony is complete with CD tray that operates with the finesse of a Swiss watch and is near silent when loading and CD’s.
    Yes I've always noticed that and admired the mechanism's engineering quality. Almost everything else I've used is clunky in comparison and operates with the finesse of a Massey Ferguson tractor

Oh, and it also reads CDs ready for playing in a nanosecond! With some CDPs these days you could go away, make a cup of tea, and have a bath by the time they've read a disc. Sssh... Don't mention the Linn Majik to Steve

Marco.

I was wondering, Mark, is there any connection with how long a transport mechanism takes to load and read the information on a disc ready for playing, and its inherent audio performance?

Or is it just a 'physical' engineering thing that bares no relationship to the inherent performance of the transport mechanism? Basically, do CDPs that takes ages to load a disc (necessarily) sound worse than those that do it almost instantly?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mark.

Hello Marco

In my experience the length of time a CD player takes to read the Table Of Contents (TOC) has no bearing on the sound quality of the CD player. The timing variations are down to the type of laser and servos used, the with players like the Sony SCD-1 there are two lasers and the unit has to go through a lengthy sequence before you get the TOC.

The CDP-R1, CDP-x777ES are amongst some of the fastest I have used!

Regards,
    Mark

I'm InSpace.

Awww cock!

I knew I was tempting fate by praising my DVD2900!

It's playing up!... The 'Pure Direct' switch is now inoperative!... It still plays DVD's etc, but it doesn't switch off the digital gubbins & display any more! I've lost some of the 'magic'!

Anyone else ever had this problem?

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.