+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: System update

I'm Mike.

Ah! Of course!
    Can you offer some general advise on whether BluRay audio is worth the effort of getting a HDMI based DAC?
    Besides, i've heard so much good about the Arcam DAC and not not much at all bout the NAD!??! Any comments on difference in analog output between these two?

Thanks Baz!

I'm Barry.

There is nothing to choose between the two DACs both fabulous sound if I had to pick my favourite I'd go for the Arcam but I wanted HDMI input . HDMI DACs are very rare at the moment , Essence , NAD and Bryston , I think thats it . You can buy HDMI de-embedders that have HDMI in and SPDIF out , I had one and it works great but its another box , another plug .
    Blu-Ray Audio ? as with all media its dependent on the recording , also not many titles , the first one I got was Genesis' Selling England marketed by High Fidelity - Pure Audio , I have this album on vinyl and two remastered CD versions the Blu-Ray blows them away its awesome.

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post

So, is that your digital playback put to bed then ?
    Yes it was and yes it is now

18 months since my last update and during this time I decided to stop chasing gear around and the system has been settled for about 8 months , tried to simplify things , all in one digital box , MM cart to use built in Sonneteer stage .

Systemdek XII900/Rega 250/Clearaudio Aurum Beta S/Heed Orbit 2
    OPPO UDP-205
    Sonneteer Alabaster
    AE 305's

I'm Andrew.

That's what I like to see Barry. A neat and tidy system of nice things. Loving your work.

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    That's what I like to see Barry. A neat and tidy system of nice things. Loving your work.
    Why thank you Andrew

I'm Gary.

Neat n tidy...like it.
    Hopefully Barry you have boxswapitus out your system now?
    Something to be said for enjoying the kit you have.

Good choice on the Oppo 205, digital swiss army knife and endgame machine if its Dac hits the spot for you.

New Sabre dac in the 205, how do you rate its analogue outs compared to any Dacs You’ve had in?
    Curious new 203 owner asking!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

New Sabre dac in the 205, how do you rate its analogue outs compared to any Dacs You’ve had in?
    Curious new 203 owner asking!
    The DAC is so good more detail in FLACs, Hi-Res Blu-Ray/DVD-A and CD than my Arcam or NAD . The SACD playback is also superb and the DLNA receiver is spot on for streaming whereas the Cambridge BD752 was a little bit hit and miss. Yes as you say an endgame digital machine .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345