+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kuzma arms

I'm Julian.

Default Kuzma arms

Has anyone heard both the 'standard' Kuzma Stogi and unipivot Stogi S arms? I am wondering if the S would be considered a significant upgrade...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm John.

I went the other way Jules I had the stogi S for a few years and then bought a used stogi and considered that an upgrade. I don't think they make it now the next one up appears to be the stogi reference in 9" arms.

I'm Peter.

Julian,

I have pm'd you. I can't help you with earlier Kuzma arms but what I can say is that if the 9" is half as impressive as the 12" you should have a grin on your face… I have the 12" Stogi S on the Stabi with a Cadenza Blue MC. I am delighted with it - it does female vocals beautifully but can separate out some really messy Supertramp tracks with real authority.

P

I'm Dave.

I have the stogi ref 313 (12inch) arm which outperforms my previous sme v.

I'm Simon.

Heard them both both and run the 12" stabi s, they are similar sounding. The unipivot is slightly more lyrical across the mids and the standard stogi a bit tighter at the bottom end, both are good arms, easy to setup and a joy to use.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm gordan.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Has anyone heard both the 'standard' Kuzma Stogi and unipivot Stogi S arms? I am wondering if the S would be considered a significant upgrade...

depends how old is your stogi (which bearings it has) - mine is 1986 vintage and frankly i can't remember the last time i played the deck it's mounted on. stogi S is imho a clear step forward, calmer, more musical and relaxed presentation. old stogi can sound crude and lacking finesse (in comparison with S version). yes, i have both - stabi 2/stogi for nostalgic reasons (i bought it directly from franz kuzma in 1986) and stabi S/stogi S for enjoyment.... until recently when i switch to something vintage

however if your budget allows, try to strech to stogi 4P - it's damn good thing, a real show stopper.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

+ Reply to Thread