+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Jumble February 2014

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    IN CONCLUSION . I am very surprised those Radford Bookshelf speakers weren't ' snapped up ' when first advertised here on TAOS Forum.
    I thought you bought the Radfords, Martyn? I seem to recall you posting something along the lines of now that Xmas was over, you were in a financial position to buy them...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gone.

Marco,

I had already PM'd the seller when Martyn posted, however the OP has not got back to me despite two PMs, so I'm not going to waste anymore time on it. I already have 7 pairs of speakers that are refurbished and ready to go to the Audio Jumble, plus loads of other good gear. I had fsncied the Radfords for the bedroom system.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs down Time wasters...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    Marco,

I had already PM'd the seller when Martyn posted, however the OP has not got back to me despite two PMs, so I'm not going to waste anymore time on it.
    Ah, thanks for the clarification, Paul. I've never understood why folk fanny about like that...

If you're selling something, do it bloody quickly and efficiently, and get it SOLD!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I thought you bought the Radfords, Martyn? I seem to recall you posting something along the lines of now that Xmas was over, you were in a financial position to buy them...

Marco.
    I told the Seller I was in a position to buy them, but at the end of Jan. PS had contacted him, so I told Paul if he wanted them I was OK with it.

As Paul says, no replies? I am still interested, as they do look an interesting loudspeaker. I have a great deal of time for the Arthur Radford / Dr. Bailey designs.

Those Tristars I heard in the '70s were superb...

I'm Martyn.

Marco.
    I told the Seller I was in a position to buy them, but at the end of Jan. PS had contacted him, so I told Paul if he wanted them I was OK with it.

As Paul says, no replies. I am still interested, as they do look an interesting loudspeaker. I have a great deal of time for the Arthur Radford / Dr. Bailey designs.

Those Tristars I heard in the '70s were superb...

I'm Gone.

Mammoth day today, took the day off and sorted more gear out for the audio jumble. Two amps (a Leak Stereo 70 and an Armstrong 521) both worked but were crackly now cleaned an silent

I would have kept the Radfords in my collection. Does anyone remember the Daline, I think these were a Bailey design as well. Small transmission lines using a b110. I had a pair back in the early 70s, a mate of mine made them from a design in HFN.

I'm Geoff.

Does anyone remember the Daline, I think these were a Bailey design as well. Small transmission lines using a b110. I had a pair back in the early 70s, a mate of mine made them from a design in HFN.
    I remember those. I think I may even still have the design article somewhere. They were tuned to very low frequencies as I recall, couldn't have had a huge output I'd have thought.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I remember those. I think I may even still have the design article somewhere. They were tuned to very low frequencies as I recall, couldn't have had a huge output I'd have thought.
    Quite right, but for their size they were mustard One time my mate brought his pair over and we hooked them up to a JVC CD-4 system, this sounded awesome. On reflection, they may not have been a Bailey design, but they did use his long hair wool.

I'm Martyn.

Quite right, but for their size they were mustard One time my mate brought his pair over and we hooked them up to a JVC CD-4 system, this sounded awesome. On reflection, they may not have been a Bailey design, but they did use his long hair wool.
    Ah, a mention of his long- hair wool again. I recall HFN saying that it could improve some reflex loudspeakers so I put some in a pair of B & W DM4s, which had if I recall correctly, has a similar filling. Probably synthetic wool.

Did they sound any different? Only on some classical music with a prominent double bass was the response marginally smoother. The '4s didn't have a ' one note bass ' by any means, but it did clean up the bass as it seemed to reduce any lingering ' one note ' effects.

In conclusion, the DM4s were one of the 'better ' designs of the mid. '70s, comparable with BC 1s which I bought after the B & Ws. The Spendors stayed for 32 years...

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Paul. I've never understood why folk fanny about like that...

If you're selling something, do it bloody quickly and efficiently, and get it SOLD!!

Marco.
    Sometimes people simply aren't regular visitors to forums, advertise on many many places and don't set up any notifications.

I've certainly done the latter before - checking emails but no notifications of any interest so don't go to the forums to double check..

Better policy is to put a direct email address in the advert and ask people to email not PM.

Hey, people could be having a hard time and selling a pair of speakers suddenly very low on their current priorities - we don't know so shouldn't complain.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast