+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Updating a Pioneer PL-71 turntable

I'm Neal.

might be worth re-posting this link of my updates to the PL-71 in case you want to try them Jim or come up with some better ones....

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...=pioneer+pl-71
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    Can you give me the number and value of the caps in the motor control PCB? I've already replaced the caps in the regulator but am still to do the motor in mine.

Nice work by the way and great photos!
    Bernie,

Thanks for the kind words.

The caps removed from the motor board were:

(1) 100uF 25V
    (1) 100uF 16V
    (2) 10uF 16V
    (4) 4.7uF 25V

My replacements were all Panasonic 25V, and all smaller than the ones removed.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Bernie.

Excellent! Thanks Jim.
    Bernie.

I'm Jim.

Neil, what did you finally decide on for cartridge alignment? I'm playing with mine and am completely stumped...
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Neal.

Hi Jim, I went with Baerwald / IEC using Conrads protractor generator program: http://www.conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm

The program runs on windows and will produce a protractor of your choice. You need a few things for it to work; a Windows system to run it, a printer(!), accurate measurement of the spindle to pivot distance, a headshell that allows you to twist the cartridge and accurate cutting of the spindle hole in the template, a square cut out inside the printed spindle circle works well.

I found the OEM recommended alignment to be quite poor.
    Last edited by NRG; 18-12-2014 at 08:56.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Jim.

I ordered a new cartridge for this table, an Audio-Technica AT100/E.

I suspected that me spare cartridges were all worn out, and with the new one to compare, yes, they were.

Onto another round of playing with alignment...

I'm Jim.

Ok, simple answer...

My old "keep them around for a rainy day" cartridges were all worn out. I guess I didn't realize how bad they had gotten.

Putting the new cart in the stock headshell sounds really quite wonderful. Alignment is plain Baerwald set with my Geodisc.

Sorted.

I'm Dave.

Hey guys. Great info in here on the PL-71. I just picked up a ortofon 2m bronze to replace my 2m blue. I've been learning all the cartridge alignment tricks as I go thanks to this forum. I really want to nail the sweet spot for alignment. I'd like to use an arc protractor because they seem the most accurate. Can you guys please recommend the best alignment procedure to get this new cart to sound perfect? I do not know all the tech lingo or what most of the programs want for info to generate the proper template for my pl-71. My pivot to spindle measurement is 209.5 and right now I have overhang at 18.5mm. I used the 2 point protractor that came with my hi hi news test record. I set vta so the top of the headshell is tail down ever so slightly. I'm using a Pro-ject Signature headshell in the polished aluminium option and I have the azimuth perfectly level. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I could definitely improve the sound if I could just nail down the cart alignment a little better. The highs are a little too sharp and bass is lacking a very tiny bit for my taste. I run vtf @ 1.7 and using the test record I found the sweet spot to be about 1.5 on the anti skate.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Hi Quinn, Hope you get set up sorted. You have a superb cart there in the 2M Black which needs to be set up right so that it does it's magic. Personally I've always found the sweet spot through doing vta last.
    All the best
    This is spot on.

The Black is incredibly set-up dependant, the most fussy cart I have owned, particularly reference VTA.

Get it ABSOLUTELY right though and it is pretty magical; one of the best MM carts out there.

Breathe on it though and you are back to square one 😉
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Neil.

Default Updating a Pioneer PL-71 turntable

Must admit that the PL-71 isn’t the easiest deck to dial VTA and get alignment bang on. At least with my experiences anyway. Maybe I have been spoiled with VTA dials...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789