+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FLAC in iTunes

I'm Lee.

Default FLAC in iTunes

I've read in various threads how iTunes can not play FLAC. However, there is a little hack that will enable you to do this. I used it when I download Radiohead's In Rainbows in FLAC.

I'm not at my mac right now so I'll post more later.

Oh what a tease Webby!

I'm Lee.

Oh, I remember. Fluke.

An iddy bit of mac software.

I'm Nick.

FLAC previews natively in the Finder now, can't remember when they bought that in but it's bloody useful!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Steve.

I couldn't be bothered with FLUKE, but then I didn't have many FLAC files so I just converted to Apple Lossless using XLD
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Steve.

Funny...downloaded a load of Flac files recently and been burning them to CD via Toast Titanium.
    ..and then was frustrated that I couldn't use my ipod touch to play through itunes and I remembered Fluke. So have been playing through the kitchen system tonight..sounds OK.
    Although the files on itunes show up as quick time movie files. I'm guessing they are converted??

I'm Steve.

My understanding is that Fluke doesn't actually convert the files (why it works instantly) but tricks iTunes into thinking they are are a supported format (hence visible in the iTunes library) but plus them using the appropriate FLAC codec which iTunes lacks.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Funny...downloaded a load of Flac files recently and been burning them to CD via Toast Titanium.
    It's great with standard 16 bit 44.1 khz FLAC's but be careful with 48khz FLAC files burning to CD with Toast. While it appears to get on with the job (converting to 16/44.1 wav on the fly) I've found the burns I've done are crackly for want of a better word. I now convert from FLAC to WAV outside Toast using XLD or SoundGrinder and then burn the WAVs. It seems that Toast's decoder is a bit flakey.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Richard.

Also be warned that if you have any 24-bit FLACs and you convert them to ALAC, you'll never be able to reconvert them to another format and keep the 24-bit information. You can only convert back to 16-bit. I suspect that the conversion to ALAC in the first place drops it to 16-bit, even though looking at the file info will tell you that it's still 24-bit.

I learned this the hard way.
    Rich

+ Reply to Thread