+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I feel sick - heat has warped all my records

I'm Hal.

"The giant spiders are a no-no though "

What's wrong with a nice big "Harry the Huntsman" spider! We have Huntsman's in the house all the time, friendly things and they catch other insects and stuff you don't want in the house. Years ago we had a noisy cicada up in the rafters that was driving us batty (no pun) with it's racket. Some time later I went to turn off the kitchen lights and there was Harry the Huntsman sitting on the light switch and waving the dead cicada at me as though to say "I caught it for you!"
    Snakes though, thats another matter. Not real fussed about them at all. Pythons are generally ok, but there's way too many that are pretty serious matters if they bite.

Hal55
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm Robin.

This is very disturbing - the heat I mean. Going to Brisbane next month and was hoping it would be cooler. Sorry about the records too btw
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Try a Vinyl Flat.....a lot cheaper!
    Now THAT looks like a cracking product!

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I've emailed them several times in the past asking for postage charges to the UK and never received a reply. Maybe I'll try again...
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hal55 View Post
    Yes, thinking of replacing the headshell wiring with these:

http://nerveaudio.com/phono-acc/litz-headshell-wires/
    Highly recommended - I use a set.

I'm Hal.

Martin, have also found these on LPGear:

http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGSOARHD4.html

I like the description of them sounding organic and musical, but there no mention of the plugs being split or otherwise for a long term secure fit. If the Nerveaudio ones also have this organic and musical nature I'll probably go with them. If you can confirm they are a nicely clear set of wires with a musical nature that would be great.

Doodoos, hope you enjoy your trip and the weather gods are kind. Remember you can sort of escape it by fleeing to the beach (notably Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast) mountains (Tamborine Mtn where I live or up around Maleny on the Glasshouse Mtns) or just do the retail therapy thing and stay in airconditioned shopping centres. The Brisbane River is also lovely in the cool of the evening - the "Riverwalk" is well recommended.
    Last year in January we had "ex tropical cyclone Oswald" to contend with which, despite being an "ex" was devastating. On the basis that lightening doesn't strike twice you should be spared cyclonic conditions at least.

Have fun!

Hal55
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm ChrisB.

I started a thread on all this record flattening business back in 2010: Warp Factor Nine - 'She's Breaking Up Captain!'
    The Vinyl Flat was discussed a bit then, I think.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Highly recommended - I use a set.
    Their alignment protractor looks good too - and very well priced: http://www.audiophileanswers.com/Ner...0174050828.htm

Hal, sorry to hear about your warping woes. Hope things work out ok in the end!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hal55 View Post
    I like the description of them sounding organic and musical, but there no mention of the plugs being split or otherwise for a long term secure fit. If the Nerveaudio ones also have this organic and musical nature I'll probably go with them. If you can confirm they are a nicely clear set of wires with a musical nature that would be great.
    It's hard to know, really, just what contribution headshell wires make in the context of the whole cable chain, but the Nerve Audio ones are well made and are running in my current setup. They did sound better than the Dynavector wires (which lost two of its clips) when I swapped them in the heavy Dynavector headshell. Since my whole vinyl replay system sounds the best it ever has, I'd say they're keeping up and a good purchase.

EDIT: they do have split clips and make a nice tight fit. Use long nosed pliers for fitment.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

When flattening the records, you need to make sure the flattener thing has a depression for the label.

Storing LPs in a pile means they all warp too becuase the label area is thicker and the playing surface sags downwards.

As it remains so hot, perhaps you could get two platters with label depressions, make some sheets with similar sized cutouts (don't have to be circular, just large enough to cover the record surface - big squares with label-sized holes in the middle) and make a big sandwich of platter, vinyl, sheet, vinyl, sheet, vinyl (etc).. platter and put a weight on top.

Try it with one and see if the heat warps it back into shape..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123