+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I feel sick - heat has warped all my records

I'm Mike.

My sympathy Hal

I'd feel sick too
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Hal.

Thanks Mike, have been squishing records with better success than I expected. The heat that caused the damage has apparently also helped them recover most of their original shape after being flattened and weights put on. I did that before going to bed, and while it was still quite hot, and it seems that cooling slowly overnight has really helped them recover by over 50%. The three I played today had acceptable warping instead of the stylus bouncing up and down like a yoyo as it did yesterday.

Freely admit to having a near sleepless night after stuffing them up , so it was really great to see improvememt today.

Hal55
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm Ken.

The vinyl Flat looks a good option.

pressure on its own will not work, it will creep back to the distorted shape.

Vinyl like all thermo plastics has a memory from when it was first formed, if gentle heat is applied it may relax and go back to its original shape. That's what the commercial products are doing, with a bit of presure to help. The two sheets of glass in the sun is also trying to achieve this.

I have noticed on several slightly warped records that have been on my RCM, when I have given them a steam clean using a hand held steam cleaner, that they have initially distorted more then gone back to flat as they cooled. They only get warm with this technique, but you could try any gentle heating method.

Good luck with whatever you try.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hal55 View Post
    Thanks Mike, have been squishing records with better success than I expected. The heat that caused the damage has apparently also helped them recover most of their original shape after being flattened and weights put on. I did that before going to bed, and while it was still quite hot, and it seems that cooling slowly overnight has really helped them recover by over 50%. The three I played today had acceptable warping instead of the stylus bouncing up and down like a yoyo as it did yesterday.
    Good news Hal. Glad to hear it
    Freely admit to having a near sleepless night after stuffing them up , so it was really great to see improvememt today.

Hal55
    I once left a 45 near a radiator and it bent badly.
    I guess I could do the same and flatten it out .....
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Hal.

"Health warning as heatwave kills thousands of bats littering the southeast with corpses"

Full story from our Courier Mail newspaper here:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226795667022

That's sad, the heat was so ferocious there are reports of whole bat colonies dying of heat stress with estimates ranging from the tens of thousands to possibly hundreds of thousands of bats dying in basically a single day. It was shocking conditions for our wildlife.

Hal55
    Without music, powerboat racing, photography and a whole stack of other stuff that floats my boat, life is just a non stop procession of deadlines and bills.

I'm Steve.

Queensland seems to get the worst of the weather, high humidity, high temps and to top it off floods, down here in Adelaide we get the high temps (over 40C this summer already), but very few floods and humidity can drop to 4% we're lucky but fires are a danger.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hal55 View Post
    "Health warning as heatwave kills thousands of bats littering the southeast with corpses"

Full story from our Courier Mail newspaper here:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226795667022

That's sad, the heat was so ferocious there are reports of whole bat colonies dying of heat stress with estimates ranging from the tens of thousands to possibly hundreds of thousands of bats dying in basically a single day. It was shocking conditions for our wildlife.

Hal55
    That's grim
    Poor little guys
    Bad for the whole environment too

Mike

I'm Steve.

Biggest problem is the bloody noise from the aircon whilst trying to listen to music
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    Biggest problem is the bloody noise from the aircon whilst trying to listen to music
    I've seen Renovation Nation (USA) where they build to minimise and sometimes do away with the need for aircon.
    Have to have it at work in the very glassy 1st floor office 2-3 weeks a year, when it gets up to 30'C.
    Poor design here for sure

Mike

I'm Martin.

Reminds me of the six months I spent living in a converted attic over the very hot summer of '97. Even leaving the big skylight open all day I would get back from work to 40 degree temperatures. Solved that problem by listening in my underwear. One advantage was that you could easily get out through the skylight onto the roof parapet which was handy if I wanted to cool off a bit. I don't really feel the heat so living in Oz would not be too much of a problem for me in that respect. The giant spiders are a no-no though
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast