+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi from Suffolk and darkmatter

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Hi and welcome to the Suffolk 'In Crowd' alongside myself and Alex_UK (when he's not currently over-working his butt off). We're both on the east side in and around Ipswich...
    Hi Dave not so far away thank you for the welcome

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    Hi Simon and welcome to the forum
    Hi Paul thank you for the welcome

I'm Peter.

Default Chartwells

Hi, I noticed your post on passive Chartwells which I think was actually labeled as a PM450P as opposed to the PM450E (the active ones aka LS5/8's).

I wonder if you ever found out any further information, specifically on the Chartwells?

Regards
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
    Hi from darkmatter

I am a music and audio enthusiast based in Suffolk, East Anglia

System varies dependant upon what speaker design I am working on, yes I am a designer but at an amateur level currently.

System at the moment

Orelle CD100 Evo / Meridian 200 XTC/ MF and Young DACs

LP12 / Ekos II / Geddon / Arkiva / Prefix Hi-Cap

LP12 / Aro / DV20H

Pre Custom and passives etc

Pow XTC modded Pow1 Krell KSA100 Naim NAP250

On Pagode MR etc.

Cables from VdH First Ultimate / various silver ICs / VdH Revelation NACA5 speaker cables + others

Various speakers Spendor BCI / BCIII / SA3 SL700 & B&W Silver sig and of course my own!!

Look forward to the chat

I'm Simon.

Hi Peter and welcome.

I never found out any information relating to the crossover and a circuit schematic for the PM450P a similar design is the Rogers PM510 but never found any information on that one.

Simon

I'm Peter.

Default Rogers PM510

Hi Simon, thanks for the response. I must confess the 510 had passed me by completely. Is it active (3 pin xlr)?

I have had a pair of PM450E's since the early 80's although they have been in store for a considerable period until recently. I have just completed fully re-storing the amps, crossovers and speakers (all new caps. out of tolerance resistors etc.) and they are back up and running. The PM450E's actually had separate crossovers inside the speakers as opposed to being fitted inside the Quad amplifiers and I was trying to source some information regarding the crossovers as I believe these were produced under the Swisstone label although I expect everything in reality was manufactured at the same source.

The sound engineer who I really owe for restoring these would like to have a look at a circuit diagram if I could hold of one...............

Regards and thanks
    Peter

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Mike O'Brien (O'Brien Hifi) WAS Swisstone, so maybe a call to him, if he's still around, may yield some info. As far as I understand it, the LS5/8 was the pukka BBC version and this was fully active, with the active crossover shoe-horned into a Quad 405 case, one per side iirc. Later ones went to an equally shoehorned Chord 800E.

My experience of the 'domesticated' big Chartwells (Rogers bought Chartwell I think either as Swisstone, or shortly before the Swisstone era- an interesting story that may be told on the Falcon website, I'm not sure)) is that they can sound thick toned and muffled all too easily, and NEED high stands and free-space to breathe properly. The smaller 5/9's I have are just the same and my pair are Jeckyl and Hyde, sounding boomy and clogged in my workroom, yet singing freely and open in other rooms (same system driving them too).

http://www.markhennessy.co.uk/rogers/ls58.htm

http://www.markhennessy.co.uk/rogers/index.htm
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12