+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Audiocom Naim CDX

I'm Peter.

Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Mark.

Peter,
    that's old info now :-
    " The Purifier uses a combination of rare earth metal oxides in a ceramic form " 2002

"In 2003 there were breakthrough developments concerning the theoretically ideal materials and physical form needed to optimize noise reduction and electron flow through the signal path. Advances in materials science and fabrication technology have resulted in a unique new carbon fiber-based Quantum Purifier with electron noise reduction and electron Slipstream transmission properties that are distinctly audible and visible, and superior to Jack Bybee’s earlier developments."

You know, when he started off he was potting the resistors in his ceramic mixture with the whole thing in a metal cylinder, then he dropped the cylinder just coated the resistor in ceramic ,now it looks like the ceramic has gone and replaced by what ? I'm not sure.

Regular

Silver

Gold
    Last edited by markf; 12-06-2009 at 02:23.

I'm Peter.

Mark,

Thanks for the update.
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Peter,

I've been reading about your current abandonment of vinyl due to the lease of life your CDX has been given after Mark's excellent work with Bybees... I know exactly what you're going through, as I felt a similar way after I had my Sony modified. Having sampled what Mark can do with CDPs, you've got an idea now of the kind of performance I enjoy with digital. I suspect, however, that you're still seduced by the convenience factor of CD and/or computer audio over vinyl, especially when digital can get close.

However, once the 'honeymoon period' is over, as fantastic as your CDX sounds, your Techy should still be noticeably superior with high quality vinyl recordings. Even my heavily-modified Sony, which with respect I'd suggest is a level or two above your CDX, as superb as it is, doesn't get near my 1210, musically, when playing the very best recordings on vinyl.

That's no disrespect to Mark's ability or his modifications - it's simply, IMO, the gulf between CD and vinyl when both are done really well

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Peter.

I've some records I bought in January that I've still not unpacked and listened to! shame on me .

I've downgraded the streaming audio solution to background only. From some discussions on the unofficial french Naim forum, I decided to use the analogue output from the SB Classic instead of going via the Beresford, and to my great surprise there's not a huge difference. So One box and one set of cables less, and a mains socket freed up! (The Dac is now for sale). I was going to invest in another micro computer to serve as a Squeezecenter server, but that's definitely shelved.

Listening to the same music from Squeezebox and then from the CDX and vice versa shows that the CDX is a much, much clearer window into the music. I'm looking forward to hearing more. I was thinking that, somehow, the CDX just wouldn't let loose the music, a just slightly restrained, held back quality. That feeling is fading.

I have to find the time to do a complete reinstall of everything in my system, but there's new developments on the way. The DualTeddyCap II is to be upgraded to a DualTeddyCapIII and by the beginning of July an Avondale 260 (2 M130's in one box). I think I owe it to myself to have a better phonostage than the Clearaudio, I might just bite the bullet and get a superline, but I'm not hurrying for that. Otherwise it's a Kora.

So more to come.