Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passive Preamps - Tisbury v NVA.

I'm Paul.

Default Passive Preamps - Tisbury v NVA.

Having established that a passive preamp will work well with Albarry monoblocks I am looking for an affordable model. The obvious choices are from Tisbury or NVA. Anyone had experience with either or both brands and can say which is the best performer. I would prefer something that is smooth/neutral that doesn't over emphasise treble when used with the very neutral and revealing Albarrys.

Paul.

synsei Guest

Hold that thought Paul. I am having a custom unit built for me and I should have it early next week. It builds on the Tisbury's best attributes but offers more inputs, fixed and variable outputs, a far better quality stepped attenuator plus silver wiring throughout, all for under a hundred nicker... I will be posting a review once I've had it in my system for a few days

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Hold that thought Paul. I am having a custom unit built for me and I should have it early next week. It builds on the Tisbury's best attributes but offers more inputs, fixed and variable outputs, a far better quality stepped attenuator plus silver wiring throughout, all for under a hundred nicker... I will be posting a review once I've had it in my system for a few days
    That sounds very interesting Dave. Can you reveal the source at this stage?

Paul.

synsei Guest

http://bte-designs.weebly.com/

Casework

Beginning of build

synsei Guest

Incidentally the case is American Black Walnut with black acrylic top and bottom

I'm Jerry.

I am really interested in trying one of these Dave, please keep me in mind!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

synsei Guest

Will do Jerry. Anthony is a delight to deal with and very knowledgeable

p.s. I should probably point out that Anthony used Black Walnut offcuts he had lying around in his workshop to build my case so the cost may be more if he has to order in especially

I'm ILOB.

Looks good Dave
    I use the Slagle Volume stage whilst more expensive its the best pre I had in my system http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/061...ol_modules.htm
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Jerry.

Will Anthony adjust component values to suit your equipment? This is a big plus for the Tisbury and, according to what I have read, essential for passives.
    Last edited by synsei; 26-12-2013 at 13:00.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Neil.

What sources are you using? The Albarrys have a very very low input impedance of 5.1kOhms, which isn't a problem with low output impedance sources, but could be with something like a passive output DAC or certain Audio Note DACs.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast