Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passive Preamps - Tisbury v NVA.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    What sources are you using? The Albarrys have a very very low input impedance of 5.1kOhms, which isn't a problem with low output impedance sources, but could be with something like a passive output DAC or certain Audio Note DACs.
    Teac T1/TD1 transport/dac, Denon 2900, Rega Fono - all plenty of output using loan Albarry passive. I'm aware of the sensitivity problem - Andrew couldn't use them with his Audio Synthesis DAX dac (1.5v). Stuff with 2.0v+ output works.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Will Anthony adjust component values to suit your equipment? This is a big plus for the Tisbury and, according to what I have read, essential for passives.
    Yes Jerry, my unit is completely bespoke and I gave Anthony a component list via email before he began work

I'm Jerry.

Brilliant, glad I hesitated about buying the Tisbury.I will wait for your comments on it's performance Dave but a proper review would be even better!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

synsei Guest

I will do my best Jerry. Incidentally, as specced mine will have two outputs, one fixed and t'other variable plus three inputs

I'm Justin.

Looks lovely so far.

Is that one of those Dale resistor pots?

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Looks lovely so far.

Is that one of those Dale resistor pots?
    It is indeed Justin

I'm tony.

I run the tisbury with temple mono blocks. I run different impedance settings on statics and spendors. I opted for one input, two variable outs and one fixed-they charged me a tenner to tailor the spec to my requirements. Great pre with little or no impact on the sound between source and amps. Also run it with a pair of valve kel84 mono blocks and previously a croft power amp.....its not fussy about partnering equipment. In my set up it replaced an active pre, I have never had the urge to replace it.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    I'm aware of the sensitivity problem - Andrew couldn't use them with his Audio Synthesis DAX dac (1.5v). Stuff with 2.0v+ output works.
    Just to be a bit pedantic - it was the DAX Discrete (no the original DAX), which outputs only 1.5V; this is direct from the DAC chip, with no op-amps or anything else in the output stage. It's not that I could't use it; I just don't think it was optimum.

I'm Martin.

Have tried Tisbury also have NVA P90. The P90 is better at retaining slam and impact but I guess this will be system dependant. Have a problem with to much gain with both, suspect I need some sort of buffer device but no idea even where to start with that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Deleted.

RFC do one for that very purpose.
    Account Deleted

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12