+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Paradise Phonostage - REVIEW

I'm Andrew.

OMG! This has been upgraded again and once again Simon has come up with the goods. This phonostage now sounds so transparent and musical on the valve system its a marked improvement over the first version I heard. Simon's optimised it for the Cadenza black so I guess I'm just gonna have to listen all day tomorrow on my reference system. Shehit life is hard
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Sandro.

I have a R2 paradise for quite same years

One thing I don't see in your review is any comment about the Paradise speed
    Second thing I think that a loot can be done to improve on the way it sounds

There are different values for the RIAA components for example

What do you have on yours?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    I have a R2 paradise for quite same years

One thing I don't see in your review is any comment about the Paradise speed
    Second thing I think that a loot can be done to improve on the way it sounds

There are different values for the RIAA components for example

What do you have on yours?
    What do you mean about speed? Have you heard any dream theater?? If you want speed and complexity I strongly recommend you have a listen.

The paradise has been updated several times since this thread and is due to go in again at some point this year for some more tweeks. I have no idea what Simon put's in there as I trust his ears.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    What do you mean about speed? .
    I mean the speed ?Slew rate? of the Paradise
    I noticed that I can hear the T a flute make just before the musician finger completely close the holes for the next note.

Dream Theater Tel me more ....

I'm Simon.

Hello Sandro.

I have a few Paradise mods that you might be interested in. Improvements to the shunt and isolation for the incoming psu. If I remember correctly you have extra caps local to the psu input on your main boards already. There's also two better choices for the servo opamp. Check out my Flickr, same user name as on here.

I should mention that Sandro was the first person I knew with a Paradise, he's to blame for the 22 I've built since then.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Sandro.

Hi Simon
    Long time ...

I am going to ceck those mods but can't find you on Flickr ????

But I was thinking about a second order servo (2 cascaded op amps) so not to interfere whit the low frequency response

Any news about the super paradise that was mentioned on DIYA tread ?

Another thing I will try is to supply the Paradise whit the ZenMod Shunty

Any one whit a clue about designing a better servo here ?

I'm Simon.

I've looked at the output on my scope while measuring the servo, with a signal generator, and I really can't see it affecting the output. I can't see any effect on the rails to the main stages that track the servos action either. But then the servo does next to nothing in mine due to high matching of input stage and thermally isolating the input transistors.

I do have a spare set of psu shunt boards. So I might quad rail each channel's psu at some point.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Sandro.

Hi Simon
    What Hfe you use for the transistors?
    I just purchased 1000 of each Fairchild on tape of BC337-40 and BC327-40
    I used the DCA 75 PRO (what a fantastic piece of kit BTW) to measure a few, it look like the 337 range at 420 to 490 and the 327 are around the 350 to 390 so the lot is pretty useless....

I'm Alan.

Default Paradise phono upgrade

Big thanks to Si for servicing and upgrading my Paradise Phono stage, got the boards back last week, I made a change to my power supply boards from CRCLC to CLCRC, and have installed them back in their case.
    Left them switched on for 48 hrs then tweaked the regs on the paradise boards to 18.2VDC
    With a signal gen set at 1K -60 dB checked the output on a scope and have perfectly matched sine wave of 1K 0.755V so the gain is just under 60dB
    Had to dig out my Pioneer turntable as I haven't listened to Vinyl for more than 9 months, anyway after listening to a few hours of the 20 records I still own, Herby Hancock the river sounded superb and better then before.

IMG_4582 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
    IMG_4584 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
    IMG_4534 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Andrew.

I'd forgotten about this thread!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast