+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Paradise Phonostage

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Thanks, will do. I don't think I'm hearing any treble peak. I would actually say that guitars are sounding a little "blunted" not as raw as they should be. .
    But is it a masking of the signal or is it lower distortion in the signal enabling you to hear the guitars as they were recorded? Big question, I know.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

I dont know is the honest answer. I've listened to these records hundreds of times and possibly for thousands of hours I've never heard them sound like this before. I'm not sure what you mean by "is it a masking of the signal", you'll have to expand on that one. It could simply be an incorrect cartridge load. Anyway I shall be reporting my findings in a few days.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

I mean is it just rounding things off a bit. There is 'rawness' from distortion in the signal and 'rawness' that is actually on the recording. It isn't that easy to differentiate between them and I've heard more than one set up that had a bit of added distort that made electric guitar sound 'raunchy' but that distort showed up on other material too, where it definitely shouldn't be.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Deleted.

Yep, there is also ringing which many confuse as extension - quantity is not quality...

At this minute I am listening to the Keaton Henson album 'Dare' and this is quite simply the best audio rproduction of a recording I have ever heard!
    Last edited by YNWaN; 20-12-2013 at 23:16.
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

Honestly, if guitars sound 'blunted' there is an issue!
    Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Honestly, if guitars sound 'blunted' there is an issue!
    I've got Leo Kottke on at this minute in time listening 6 & 12 string guitars (Quiex SV-P 200g version) and it has never sounded better, bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I mean is it just rounding things off a bit. There is 'rawness' from distortion in the signal and 'rawness' that is actually on the recording. It isn't that easy to differentiate between them and I've heard more than one set up that had a bit of added distort that made electric guitar sound 'raunchy' but that distort showed up on other material too, where it definitely shouldn't be.
    Ahh I see what you mean, I suppose it could be phonostage rounding thing off but I've had three completely different setups over the years with various phonostages which have never given distortion to the recording. The problem itself is very minor but was something of a surprise. The Paradise is an extremely good phonostage and TBH I was looking for something that was going to sit with my Garrard 301 in the valve setup mainly on Jazz/Accoustic/Classical music duties and not a phonostage for intricate progressive metal and heavy metal, prog rock etc. The Paradise is not going anywhere it will form an integral part of my listening room. Now that's praise enough considering I've tried and rejected phonostages costing many thousands of pounds more.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

Andy

A bit off topic I know but do you have both systems set up in the same room?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Andrew.

Yep.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonight Genre's under the Paradise microscope are Jazz and Accoustic guitar.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tomorrow night we move onto Classical.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast