Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Paradise Phonostage

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Ah I see thanks, looks impressive !
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Simon.

The circuit is a class A, zero negative feedback, transimpedance MC amp. It actually runs at about 82db of gain but the RIAA topology is such that this is 'burnt off' in the RIAA correction. The indicated external PSU is a rather large dual mono, bipolar set-up with current chokes and common mode filters in the pre-reg. The psu proper on the gain boards is a bipolar, class A shunt reg based on one of Salas's designs.

Andy, try some resistors around around 250 ohm (220-280). It'll tame the treble peak you are hearing as a lack of bass definition.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    The circuit is a class A, zero negative feedback, transimpedance MC amp. It actually runs at about 82db of gain but the RIAA topology is such that this is 'burnt off' in the RIAA correction. The indicated external PSU is a rather large dual mono, bipolar set-up with current chokes and common mode filters in the pre-reg. The psu proper on the gain boards is a bipolar, class A shunt reg based on one of Salas's designs.
    Out of interest, can I take it that the equalisation is achieved passively? If so how many dB does the filter 'burn'?

Really looking forward to hearing one of these at some point. Is there likely to be one at Scalford?

I'm Deleted.

One may be at Scalford as there are a few out there now (unlikely to be mine though).
    Account Deleted

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    One may be at Scalford as there are a few out there now (unlikely to be mine though).
    You need to build a second 'portable' turntable Mark!

I'm Deleted.

To be honest Guy, whilst that is an issue it isn't the key one. The truth is that the prospect of showing at Scalford just doesn't excite me - I would rather go round it. There would also be the whole politics of the Wam to navigate, you know the whole 'we're all amateur enthusiasts here....erm, except for the ones that aren't'.
    Account Deleted

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    To be honest Guy, whilst that is an issue it isn't the key one. The truth is that the prospect of showing at Scalford just doesn't excite me - I would rather go round it. There would also be the whole politics of the Wam to navigate, you know the whole 'we're all amateur enthusiasts here....erm, except for the ones that aren't'.
    Agreed. It's far more fun to be at, have a few beers & look around than to be stuck in a room for the day.

I'm Deleted.

Precisely . If you did want to hear mine you are always welcome Guy - hardly round the corner though.
    Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

Second day of reviewing the Paradise and I'm finding myself respecting this device more and more. I've just been comparing the intimacy of male and female vocals. Tonight I'm looking at it's ability of reproducing treble so I have a night of Van Halen, Deep Purple, Steve Vai and a few others.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post

Andy, try some resistors around around 250 ohm (220-280). It'll tame the treble peak you are hearing as a lack of bass definition.
    Thanks, will do. I don't think I'm hearing any treble peak. I would actually say that guitars are sounding a little "blunted" not as raw as they should be. I've now heard this occur on several tracks from something as benign as the solo in Forgotton Sons (Marillion - Script for a Jesters Tear), to Eruption (Van Halen - Van Halen). The Paradise seems
    to have a softer presentation when rendering class rock guitar solo's when compared to my Sugden+SUT combo.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast