+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Paradise Phonostage

I'm Andrew.

Default The Paradise Phonostage

It is my intention to write an in depth review on this Phonostage. I'm currently loaning a three box version from Simon who also lives on this forum whilst he builds my 4 box version. Tonight is the first night where I have had chance to listen and all I can say is that it's throwing up a few interesting results. Full review will probably take a week or so, please be patient. I'm sure Simon and Mark who also own versions of the Paradise phonostage will chip in and add their own observations (I hope so)! Stay tuned.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Deleted.

Default The Paradise Phonostage

As andrew says, I have a four box build of this phonostage:

An elaborate moving coil only stage it uses an unusual transconductance circuit with zero negative feedback, instead relying on close component matching.
    Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

I don't intend having IEC's in mine i've plumped for some well screened copper cabling, I got talked out of the usual 4-5mm shielded pure silver solid core that I use. So already we have differences
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

OK am off to bed now, yep its early but I want a full day in Paradise tomorrow!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Deleted.

Blimey, too early to go to bed for me yet!

Si told me you wanted the mains cable to be hard wired - no harm in that - it's actually easier than fitting an IEC socket. I have to say that I've not found IEC sockets to be a limiting factor though and the ability to easily disconnect the cable is important to me, plus the IEC socket can house the on/off switch and contain the fuse (which mine do). I'm not against 'purist' build though - I used silver plated, Teflon insulated, OFC coaxial hookup cable internally, 50Ohm BNC input connectors and Eichmann output RCA's, circuit boards are mechanically isolated etc.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 19-12-2013 at 23:13.
    Account Deleted

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Is there a demo unit that can be sent out?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I used silver plated, Teflon insulated, OFC coaxial hookup cable internally, 50Ohm BNC input connectors and Eichmann output RCA's, circuit boards are mechanically isolated etc.
    I suppose I could still be coaxed into silver, this may explain why Si's sounds a little laid back. But Eichman output RCA's sound pretty cool and the circuit board been mechanically isolated also sounds quite an easy job to do. I think Si gets around this with sitting the units on sorbothane focal pods which extrinsically dampen?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Is there a demo unit that can be sent out?
    No this is a group build project from DIYAUDIO.COM not a commercial product.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

So it's dual mono with dual psu's and built into naim cases, does the circuitry share a similar topology and design to naim phono stages ?
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Deleted.

It doesn't have to be in Naim cases, but both Si's and mine are for two very good reasons; 1/ the circuit happens to fit very nicely, 2/ our friend Andrew (AKA flatpopely) happens to manufacture and sell them.

The circuit has absolutely nothing to do with anything Naim have ever done.

Andrew, I don't think the silver internal hookup cable makes any difference (well, very tiny), I only used it because I needed some coax hookup cable and it wasn't expensive (you only need 0.5 metre for the whole build) - much more likely is the value of the cartridge loading - which does make a difference. 'Laid back' is definitely not how I would describe my Paradise!
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast