+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blueray player as digital transport for CD playback into dac?

I'm ILOB.

Yes Oppo good as that
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Got a blueray drive in the work PC Ali, use that for ripping to the library.

There's a 100 reasons NOT to have a drive in a server so wouldn't go down that road mate.

A seperate unit's the way to go I think.

Anyone tried an Oppo as a digi transport?
    Same price as the marantz...
    Ok no worries, the drive in the NVA works well with BD though. Take it the new streamer doesn't have a drive in it?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Not got a drive in it, no.

Stripped to the minimum, tweaked to the maximum

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Look forward to hearing it mate.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Having another soiree at mine Ali once the Edingdales are in place.
    Lots of new stuff to listen to.

I'm Gary.

Buying one of these tomorrow. Job's a good 'un.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/...ara-ud7007-blk

Was going to go for an Oppo 103, but forum opinion (as opposed to reviews, paid for or not ) says audio only is better.
    Another itch scratched.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Having another soiree at mine Ali once the Edingdales are in place.
    Lots of new stuff to listen to.
    Good stuff.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Clive.

I use a Oppo BDP95EU player connected to my Cyrus PreXdQx DAC, via both digital and analogue cable. It works very well as a digi transport on CD and from my NAS but won't play SACD or DVD-A unless using the analogue output.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Mark.

Buying one of these tomorrow. Job's a good 'un.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/...ara-ud7007-blk

Was going to go for an Oppo 103, but forum opinion (as opposed to reviews, paid for or not ) says audio only is better.
    Another itch scratched.
    Its hard to say which has the best digital output sound quality without trying both in the same system as every dac is different.

The Marantz has XLR balanced outputs which might be useful but it lacks an optical output which some people need.

The Oppo 103 has the advantage of HDMI input you can use it to upscale another source such as sky or freeview recorder as the upscaling in the Oppo is better than most TV's at upscaling SD.

The Oppo 103 has optical output if you need it.

The Oppo remote control and media app are really useful if you like gadgets and streaming etc.

Oppo are also really good with regular firmware updates when needed and they listen and respond to customers requests for features or fixes which is always good.

Then there is the Oppo 103D with built in Darbee video processor, http://darbeevision.com/ costs £100 more at £599 but should be worth it with big TV or projector for the extra 'on the fly' advanced frame by frame sharpening effects. think of it like photoshop sharpening but for video.

Too many choices...

Either the Marantz or Oppo 103 or 103D would be a good choice.

I'm Gary.

cheers guys, picked up the Marantz today.
    Had a think about the Oppo but on balance it has a lot of features I dont need or wont ever use.

Would have been good with either but the Marantz best suits my needs.
    Interesting point about SACD and digital out, hadnt thought about that.
    Guess its a copyright thing?

I THINK it can output SACD audio via its "audio" HDMI output, but my dac doesn't have that input.
    The analogue outs supposed to be pretty good so will hook it up later and compare with digital out into the Young dac.

My last disc spinner.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast