+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blueray player as digital transport for CD playback into dac?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Gary.

Default Blueray player as digital transport for CD playback into dac?

Anyone tried this, still looking for digi transport but would be good to have a blueray player as well.

Some of the Sony sub £200 players look good, is there a "best" CD transport that plays bluerays too?

ta.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I think John does this Gary and gets on rather well, I expect he'll be along later. Mark (Reid Malenfant) used to as well and was also a fan.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ILOB.

I use the Sony to run off hard drive on the Sony using a SSD and really like what I get but if using as a traditional CD player it reminds me of all the reasons why I disliked CD players before moving to files. Its a really cheap way to hear music and great to watch films with surprisingly good results
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm scott.

Marantz UD universal platers are very good Gaz , you heard mine at my gaff feed into my NOS Valve Dac
    also plays cd/sacd/dvd-a or Oppo are good as well

I'm ILOB.

I had both the Oppo and Sony as a Transport in my system at the same time. If just using the USB to play files which in my view is the best way to get the best out of both in terms of SQ I could hear no difference. The Oppo is a lot better with everything else
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm Gary.

Thanks guys,
    I already have built a server which does the streaming and I doubt the players mentioned would be better than that.

Looking for summit to let me play my disks and Scott the Marantz sacd blurays look interesting....
    Think yours was the battleship grade one, probably a bit spendy for what i need.

Any reccs on the cheaper models?
    This: http://www.richersounds.com/product/...ara-ud7007-blk
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm scott.

UD7007 Gets very good reviews , not heard one myself but marantz always made very good universal players
    Yes mine was the battleship one Gaz 30kilos but superb at spinning any disc cd to bluray

I'm ILOB.

Think if using the Sony as a Traditional player its not that great The Marantz looks good and really liked the Oppo

I'm inthescottishmafia.

How about buying a BD drive for the streamer Gaz?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Got a blueray drive in the work PC Ali, use that for ripping to the library.

There's a 100 reasons NOT to have a drive in a server so wouldn't go down that road mate.

A seperate unit's the way to go I think.

Anyone tried an Oppo as a digi transport?
    Same price as the marantz...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast