+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypex, new class D and others.

I'm Jerry.

Ok getting a bit more specific would you say that if you didn't want to go down the valve route that Hypex was the best alternative?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Ok getting a bit more specific would you say that if you didn't want to go down the valve route that Hypex was the best alternative?
    For a classD amp I like Hypex the best so far but there may be alternative topology amps which are better or as good for cheaper
    If you got the money to burn then certainly give the Hypex a try, you have to remember the Hypex units require good quality PSU too which can cost as much or more than the actual modules

What Tripath amp you currently using?

As an example here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...hreadid=141588 I've not tried these yet but do intend on giving them a go and performing some mods, its confusing because those modules are not actually classD but the company who makes them are called Class-D

That company is about 10 minutes away from where I live
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Jerry.

Bah! Just when I have a clear route in my head you go and throw a spanner in the works Leo. That amp module looks excellent value-are they single channel or dual?

(Sigh) My amp....Started life as a Trends TA101. I bought the Audiomagus tweak-kit and buggered it. Our very own Puffin fixed it by replacing the entire board and adding the Audiomagus capacitors and other bits. It sounds lovely through efficient speakers like my Vandies.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Jerry.

Stick the reply under the new thread I have started Leo if you dont mind.
    Mods if you want to move any of the last couple of pages thats fine.
    Jerry

I'm Jerry.

Leo you have duplicated this thread it needs merging.
    Jerry

Don't ask I tried moving this from Stans thread to the Hypex,new classD and others thread but it went as post 1 so I moved it here until we get to page 2 if that makes sense, its not so bad if they go to the top of page 2, I can then transfer the other off topic on the 7520 over too
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Jerry.

No problem.
    On another website I noticed someone who had a valve amp asking for advice about solid state gear. When asked why he said "I'm fed up with it going tits-up every year"
    Are they unreliable?
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    No problem.
    On another website I noticed someone who had a valve amp asking for advice about solid state gear. When asked why he said "I'm fed up with it going tits-up every year"
    Are they unreliable?
    Not so much unreliable but they will require valve replacements every so often, they tend to go noisy etc , some may last a year, others may last years.
    Its easy to replace the valves but it can be expensive depending on the type, also some valves are becoming harder to source too.
    Cheers,
    Leo

One piece of advice I'll give you mate (others may not agree) if your wanting a amp which is going to be cheap to either buy or build and cheap to run I'd seriously give valves a miss tbh
    I've nothing against valve amps, I have one myself I sometimes use and I've heard some very nice valve amps belonging to friends
    Cheers,
    Leo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12