+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Valves for Croft Micro 25/Series 7

I'm James.

Hi Bernie, I have stuffed my Croft 25R with NOS Tesla ECC83. These are the gold pin 32's. Nothing I have tried sounds as good as these in my system. The regulation stage was the biggest revelation as I did not believe the valves here made much difference but they certainly do! The voltage reg valve is a NOS Mullard.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Ok so now tried a Tesla ECC83 32 gold pin valve in the Croft Series 7, replacing the JAN GE 5751. It is very good but a tad softer presentation than the GE. Detail, soundstage and transparency are all there but I think the GE has the edge, didn't think this would be the case The Tesla is a beautiful valve that excels with vocals and has a more liquid holographic sound in the Croft. The GE has more bite and detail and is more etched, probably a bit HIFI but it does seem to give a slightly clearer presentation.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm mickael.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have stuffed my Croft 25R with NOS Tesla ECC83. These are the gold pin 32's. Nothing I have tried sounds as good as these in my system. The regulation stage was the biggest revelation as I did not believe the valves here made much difference but they certainly do! The voltage reg valve is a NOS Mullard.
    Allow me to revive an old thread here as I'm trying to figure out which is which with the tube layout in my recently acquired Micro 25.
    So far with the stock JJ ecc83s it can't come even close to my modulus pre but I'm sure I can fit better valves in the Croft, so before I go for the chinese fit and miss method to figure out which is which I thought I'd ask.

Looking at it from the front side and tracking the cables to the RCA plugs, left tube would be a regulator or a shared tube?, center tube for phono stage only and right tube for the line stage ? do we need a matched pair somewhere ? (I'm a moron with these things my modulus shares 2 balanced valves per stage hence my confused questioning)

Thanks for your … input

ʇɐɥʇ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝʌᴉl ʇ,uɐɔ 's,pƆ ʎɯ uo sǝpᴉs q ou

Main: Custom L75 "La Plancha", AudioCraft AC300, Ortofon MC3000 AnaMighty EAR 834P - PTP5 Schick 12" Cala 103.3 on HA1000 - pre AI Modulus 3A Audio Synthesis Passion - DAX2se - ARC VT60/Quad 909 - Virgo 2
    Office: L78 Mayware Formula IV Ortofon MC10 super - Kenwood KT1100 - Acoustic Masterpiece AM-201or A&R A60 - Rogers LS3/5a
    Workshop: Chromecast - Meridian 563 Dac - Audio Synthesis Passion - Quad 306 or 606ii - Spendor BC1

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by slaba View Post
    Allow me to revive an old thread here as I'm trying to figure out which is which with the tube layout in my recently acquired Micro 25.
    So far with the stock JJ ecc83s it can't come even close to my modulus pre but I'm sure I can fit better valves in the Croft, so before I go for the chinese fit and miss method to figure out which is which I thought I'd ask.

Looking at it from the front side and tracking the cables to the RCA plugs, left tube would be a regulator or a shared tube?, center tube for phono stage only and right tube for the line stage ? do we need a matched pair somewhere ? (I'm a moron with these things my modulus shares 2 balanced valves per stage hence my confused questioning)

Thanks for your … input

Hi Mickael,

The two valves on the left are for the phonostage. The valve on the right is for the linestage.
    Hope this helps ?

I'm Shaun.

When I had my Croft pre/power back in 2008 I tried low gain valves but ended up having to use attenuators as changing the valves just didn't produce the results I wanted. The gain on the pre was/is way too high.

I'm Shaun.

Oh yes, I ended up using Goldenjacks 14db attenuators.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123