Closed Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Platters and Phonos at MartinT's

I'm Deleted.

It would certainly appear that the MC stage of the Whest leaves something to be desired. However, I can think of at least one, very vociferous, poster on another forum and Whest owner that thinks it is the very pinnacle of perfection!
    Account Deleted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ah yes, Jamesy-boy 'I buy on reviews, brand reputation and what my guru tells me' McPeake. He's a lost sheep, I'm afraid - and has been for some time....!

However, based on what I've heard, it's not the case that the Whest is especially bad, but rather that some SUTs and bespoke-designed head amps are *so* bloody good!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

I must admit that I was surprised he bought the Whest.
    Account Deleted

He'd have been advised to buy it and/or bought it as a result of its good reviews. The man seems incapable of thinking for himself or trusting his own ears.

Anyway, I wouldn't get too down on the Whest. It's actually pretty good (although, IMO, not worth the money). Trouble is, there are (again, IMO) better ways of spending £3k+ on a phono stage, where you will get a much bigger bang for your buck!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    MC stage on his Whest (a £3k standalone phono stage?)
    £2k-ish. The PS.30RDT is over £3k.

Ah, thanks for the clarification

Marco.
    Main System

MartinT Guest

...and to add some balance here, the Whest's MM input stage (as that is what I set it for) is *very* good indeed. How otherwise would we have heard such good sounds from both the Hashimotos and PH head amp?

I'm paul.

interesting thread I must say the views so far expressed have not put me off wanting to try Jez's head amp, Marco I think the Whest PS30 R is £1700, its the 30rdt se that's 3K,
    I do find it strange that a MC phonostage would be better when used with a step up device , I would have thought the whest only has one amplification stage and selecting MC/MM is simply a case of changing the gain or does it have two separate stages in one case ?
    cant wait to read Marco's write up, real world compelling, no wonder the mags cant compete
    Paul

I'm Chris.

Great thread - I'm leaning towards the H7 in the future since I really like my C220's tube MM section.

I'm Deleted.

Default Platters and Phonos at MartinT's

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...there are (again, IMO) better ways of spending £3k+ on a phono stage, where you will get a much bigger bang for your buck!

Marco.
    I quite agree, bigger and better .

(Have just made a small but worthwhile change to my own MC stage - no, I didn't convert it to use a SUT )
    Last edited by YNWaN; 17-12-2013 at 17:59.
    Account Deleted

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast