+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hypex, new class D and others.

I'm Jerry.

Default Hypex, new class D and others.

Just thought I would ask what people have been trying lately? I started talking about Hypex elsewhere and thought it deserved a new thread.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm John.

I'm very happy with my Hypex UcD 180HG amp. It seems transparent to every improvement I make elsewhere in the system, and I prefer it to the Tripath TA0104 amp I was using previously.

I'm Jerry.

Did you build it yourself John? If so could a numpty like me manage it?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

The easiest route would be their amp modules plus PSU modules, you could also buy one of their transformers or buy one from say Farnell or RS if it would work out cheaper
    This would be the easiest route , as long as you have a suitable case, sockets and cable your ready to to go, if you get stuck with anything simply give a shout, there should be enough help on here

The other option is just the modules and building your own psu, this could work out cheaper but also require more work being less easy
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Jerry.

That Class D company Leo-how weird to call yourself something that you dont make or sell. What a funny old world. There seems to be a few people who doubt its claims about efficiency but the few people who have built an amp with it seem to rate the quality.
    What PSU would you recommend?
    Jerry

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Did you build it yourself John? If so could a numpty like me manage it?
    Yes I built it myself. As Leo said, the easiest way is to buy the Hypex PSU as well (They now have a very compact switch mode supply as well as linear ones), then it's pretty well a matter of connecting things up and putting it all in a box. It's more than one step on from constructing a kit, though: There are diagrams available on their website but you won't find step by step instructions. Also, of course, there are mains voltages involved. So it all depends on your numptiness quotient - you're the only one who knows!

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

My psu's are quite straightforward , parts I used was 20 amp schottky diodes for the rectifiers followed by 10'000uf 4-pole T-network caps
    Cheers,
    Leo

+ Reply to Thread