+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: DIY Platter

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post

After you have removed the rubber you will see that there are bits of residue rubber and glue left on the underside of the platter. Keep chipping away at it with the paring knife. Your patience will be rewarded. What that is mostly done you must then clean it. I used Acetone, Synthetic Steel Wool and rubber gloves. You can use whatever cleaning method; only be sure you take off 100% of the rubber.

This is what it should look like after you have striped and cleaned it completely.
    Man, that leftover rubber & glue is a bear to get off. Mainly because I didn't break out the acetone at first Right now my platter is looking more like the second pic than the first. I'm really itching to get this completed so I can hear the results

I'm Kevin.

I hope you find the results worthwhile after all that effort.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
    Man, that leftover rubber & glue is a bear to get off. Mainly because I didn't break out the acetone at first Right now my platter is looking more like the second pic than the first. I'm really itching to get this completed so I can hear the results
    What's your other equipment Nathan?

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I hope you find the results worthwhile after all that effort.
    So do I! It sure is a right pain doing that work! But if you do most of the important mods; power supply, tonearm, bearing, platter - and some of the minor mods; service the internal connectors, headshell, record clamp - you really will get a top turntable.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    What's your other equipment Nathan?

So do I! It sure is a right pain doing that work! But if you do most of the important mods; power supply, tonearm, bearing, platter - and some of the minor mods; service the internal connectors, headshell, record clamp - you really will get a top turntable.
    The other parts of my kit are as follows: Sony STR-DA5ES with the pre-out feeding a Yamaha MX-830. My sources are a Sony DVP-NC555ES and my SL-1200MK2 using a Audio Technica at120e. My speakers a Infinity RS5 "Mutts" and Maggie MG-2.5R's.
    The SL-1200 so far has the tonearm re-wired & cotton stuffed, DIY external PS (stock parts used), RCA cables upgraded, a couple of the caps on the PCB upgraded, an O-ring under the spindle bearing housing with some blue LED's and a repaint thrown in for good measure. Currently experimenting with different mats (stock/cork-rubber/acrylic). Even with just these few mods the SQ has improved and I like it!

I'm Nathan.

Default UPDATE

Followed Andrei's instructions and got the Dynamat on. The platter is MUCH better damped than stock. Knocking on the deck surface with the stylus on a static LP, m.uch less sound getting through to the speakers. A very good improvement for $15

I'm Mike.

OK, although this has been a dormant thread for years, I am attempting to revive it. Hello everyone from Westchester New York.
    Or more like Niagra Falls New York as I am on a bit of a mini vacation, heading home tomorrow, back to reality.

In case anyone has the burning question if I can see Canada from thewindow from where I am, the answer is a resounding YES!!!! Yes I can! Oh yes, and the falls too!!!
    Despite all these years, I have yet to take the plunge on this upgrade, but I plan to do it as I am equipped with Dynamat extreme.
    I have a suggestion for anyone attempting to perform this mod. To make things easier, how about using a heatgun to perform this mod.
    Apply heat on the metal side of the platter for a minute or two. Then apply heat on the underside of the platter (the rubber side).
    Do not keep the heat gun in the same place. Make sure to keep the heat gun moving around the platter and rubber, or you will burn the surface.
    With the platter and rubber heated up, it should be relatively easy to remove the rubber. You may want to use a spatula to help assist in the separation of removing the rubber from the platter. It may actually come out cleaner than trying to remove the rubber using non-heated brute force methods.

I am recruiting/volunteering Marco to try this method to let us know how well it goes. C'mon Marco... I have faith in you to rise up to this challenge!!!

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by CableMaker1; 25-11-2023 at 02:42.
    Anyone who thinks CDs sound better needs to listen to my system. Besides, my cables sound better than yours.

Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-1: MN Bearing + Baseplate + AL/CU Platter, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME V, Audio Technica AT33EV, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable
    Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-2: MN Bearing + Baseplate, Copper Mat, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME 309, Audio Technica ATOC9/MLII, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable

I'm Geoff.

For health reasons, Marco is not currently participating here. We hope he will be along in due course once he recovers and we wish him the best.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ian.

As someone who has carried out this mod using a heat gun made no appreciable difference,the type of adhesive use seems to be reluctant possibly for obvious reasons. Just good old hard graft gets it off. Helps if you have an old bearing to spin the platter on to keep an eye on the balance. I finished mine topside with a fitted copper top,handy to have the longer 'Mike New' bearing so you still have enough spindle projection

I'm Andrew.

I think most of us have moved on from the 1210. I've still got mine but people hardly post about them now.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Kevin.

I have not moved on. I just have nothing left to do on it.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast