+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New mains install

I'm Brian.

Sorry missed that one mate Your system must sound amazing then . I installed a dedicated mains in my old house ( not so easy in this one though ) and it made a significant difference . I've also heard the difference which a BPS can make , so together they should sound fantastic. I've made the decision to go battery powered with my amp and DAC so doubtful I will have to go down this road as I now keep a very small simple system . Hope you get the result you want James .

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Sorry missed that one mate Your system must sound amazing then . I installed a dedicated mains in my old house ( not so easy in this one though ) and it made a significant difference . I've also heard the difference which a BPS can make , so together they should sound fantastic. I've made the decision to go battery powered with my amp and DAC so doubtful I will have to go down this road as I now keep a very small simple system . Hope you get the result you want James .
    Thanks mate, I also Have a AG1500 regen in the ms as well, it does all work very well together.
    Am I right in thinking your using monitor Gold amp on the go ?

I'm Brian.

Bliddy hell James , an AG1500 as well . I'll bet that your system will sound awesome when it's all settled in . I was using a Sony TAFS 530ES amp but one of the channels started to go down . Didn't have the time nor the inclination to fix it , so I bought a Temple Audio Bantam Gold . As i've downsized I only need one input , and very good it sounds too ( to this deaf old git )

I'm James.

This new installation is sounding better and better each day, although tonight I have particularly noticed a real improvement.
    Everything sounds tonally more accurate, more relaxed and more tangible.
    I must admit that the installation of a 3Kva BPS and AG1500 regen is not a patch on what I have found upgrading my mains before these units.
    Last edited by Sovereign; 19-12-2013 at 05:59.

I'm Ben.

Default Upgrading meter tails to what?

I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread but I am investigating mains upgrading and am about to do similar to what the OP has done. I'm intrigued by the comment you made about further tweaks and upgrading the meter tails...upgrading them to what?

Also, i too have a mains reconditioner and I am considering whether to add a balanced power supply from airlink into the mix ... and where in the power chain everything should sit!

Any insight gratefully received.
    Crom

I'm Alex.

I would go for 25mm CY cable into a dedicated consumer unit then into a Balanced mains power supply.

I have just recently finished my BMU so have a look in the DIY section. The result is a major improvement all round. I will be ordering this cable later on in the year:
    https://www.fscables.com/products/lf...tml?filter_set[]=40

It will come from the meter into a dedicated consumer unit with a 63A supply to the BMU.

The BMU that I have built transformed my system. It has raised it up to a Level I did not think possible. I have one 4KVA transformer for the ATC`s, and a 2KVA running the source equipment.

I am amazed by what it has done and am looking forwards to installing the 25mm CY cable, but at the moment I am enjoying every minute of listening time.

I'm Ben.

Interesting project, thanks for pointing me to it Alex. I have a good relationship with Canterbury Windings so I may give them a shout to see what sort of price might be involved.

I'm not familiar with CY cables, do you mean single core version of these?

https://lapplimited.lappgroup.com/pr...ic-100-cy.html

or

https://lapplimited.lappgroup.com/pr...cy-cables.html

I read quite an interesting piece on balanced mains here: http://vertexaq.com/about-the-aletheia-psus/

It seems to agree with what you say about keeping the source and amps on separate 'circuits'. However, I have also read elsewhere about it being best to run amps on unbalanced mains. Something to test I guess.

I also have the decision to make about MCBs, RCBOs and the other sorts of switches to use in the new CU. I've been in touch with RKR who has been amazing but I'm interested in all feedback. I will probably start a new thread!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Crom View Post
    Interesting project, thanks for pointing me to it Alex. I have a good relationship with Canterbury Windings so I may give them a shout to see what sort of price might be involved.

I'm not familiar with CY cables, do you mean single core version of these?

https://lapplimited.lappgroup.com/pr...ic-100-cy.html

or

https://lapplimited.lappgroup.com/pr...cy-cables.html

I read quite an interesting piece on balanced mains here: http://vertexaq.com/about-the-aletheia-psus/

It seems to agree with what you say about keeping the source and amps on separate 'circuits'. However, I have also read elsewhere about it being best to run amps on unbalanced mains. Something to test I guess.

I also have the decision to make about MCBs, RCBOs and the other sorts of switches to use in the new CU. I've been in touch with RKR who has been amazing but I'm interested in all feedback. I will probably start a new thread!
    Hi Ben,

The Lapp group do not do the 25 mm cable as a 3 core that was why I gave you the FS Cables link. The Lapp cables go up to 16mm 3 core CY 100 Classic, but if a thicker version is available I would get it.

Canterbury Windings will only go up to 3KVA which is why I got my transformers from Toroidy in Poland.

They made me 1 off 4KVA to power the ATC50A`s and another one 2KVA for the source components. They made the transformers to their "Audio Grade" but without the Stainless Steel covers as I did not have the room in the case.

I would recommend the 4KVA and 2KVA option as opposed to the Verttexaq method. They were using one transformer for all duties so not as separated as well as two transformers.

There is no problem running power amps with balanced output, the only reason not to run balanced mains would be that the transformer is not big enough for the job.
    Sharing 4KVA between two 350W total amplifiers per channel sounds superb, but I have often found that over rating power supplies always works for the better with audio.

Have a look at what I have done in the DIY section and if you have any questions about it, I can soon answer them as there will be RCCB`s, Main Switch and the MCB`s.

I now have a good file of information about the options and how to wire them if you need it.

I'm Mike.

Am updating this, as have just found it. I'm not at all sure what balanced mains are, having had a number of dedicated hifi supply installations over the decades.

I have a straightforward 6 x10mm2 and 2 x 6mm2 twin and earth (one for each piece of kit) going directly into an 8 way Memera c.u. with individual RCBOs and tails to meter via junction box. I used to have virtually all Naim 9and other s/s) but now am virtually all valved.

I have a theory that toroidal trannied kit benefits immensely from dedicated radials etc., but maybe not valved kit with their bigger and different trannies. Regardless, dedicated mains don't have any negatives and are convenient and safe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12