+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Improving on my Rega Mira.

I'm Andrew.

Default Improving on my Rega Mira.

I am considering buying another amplifier to replace my Mira(2000). Ideas I am toying with so far have been adding a Maia or going for a full Cursa/Maia combination or the Cursa 3/ Maia 3 combination if I could get it for around the £500 to £600 area. Any of you Rega aficionados any thoughts? Does just adding the Maia give me anything? Given that I like the Rega sound, is there any other make I am missing. I'm looking at second hand and it could be integrated or pre/power and not valves. Thanks for any ideas you might have.

I'm Andrew.

Right, you've had all afternoon. I'm off to What Hi-Fone. Only joking.

I'm Rich.

I've recently seen the more recent versions of the Cursa and Maia going on that auction site for not unreasonable money. Myself, I have a brio r and love it to bits, you definitely need to hear it given you can pick one up for under 350 second hand.

My next step will be the elicit r I think, subject to hearing it of course.... I've been told its like the brio r but just more of everything. A bit dear for me at 1600quid so I'll wait and see if a nice used one or ex demo comes up in good time.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for your help Richard. I, like yourself, consider the new Elicit R a bit too expensive for myself. I spoke to a dealer who suggested the Brio R was a bit more forward than the Mira and to be honest unless you are listening at home with your own set up it is nigh on impossible to make judgments on new bits of kit. I'm considering doing this in stages by buying either the Cursa or Maia and using it with the Mira until further funds allow me to get the missing pre or power. Would I be right in thinking that if I use the power amp section of my Mira it defeats the volume control? Thanks.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Mira 2000 had a leaner, brighter balance than its clamshell predecessor and it's my belief that the current crop redress this to a large extent. My advice would be to go higher than this level to get any real sense of improvement and there are many alternatives out there for you to consider. At this point, not sure if I should dive in with specific models or makes, but there are many many threads here going back all this site's life with 'our' favourites being recommended time after time

Have fun researching...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The Mira 2000 had a leaner, brighter balance than its clamshell predecessor and it's my belief that the current crop redress this to a large extent. My advice would be to go higher than this level to get any real sense of improvement and there are many alternatives out there for you to consider. At this point, not sure if I should dive in with specific models or makes, but there are many many threads here going back all this site's life with 'our' favourites being recommended time after time

Have fun researching...
    And to be honest if I could afford a new elcit-r then I'd probably buy those Albarry monoblocks elephanteers is selling and fork out for a nice preamp/phono stage.

However I need to build my new room and get the loft conversion underway before any major new kit turns up...

This is now becoming particulary urgent as I've observed Mrs B becoming very clucky of late!
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Andrew.

Hello David. Just to clarify. Are you suggesting that I need to go higher than the Cursa/Maia to gain a noticeable improvement? Thanks.

I'm Andrew.

Any more ideas anyone? £500 to £600 second hand. Suggestions would be most appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread