+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Phono Cable Interconnect review

I'm Mark.

Default Another Phono Cable Interconnect review

Background: I'm running a Verdier Nouvelle with a 90th Anniversary Ortofon SPU on a rewired SME 3012 arm into an upgraded Nick Gorham phono stage, which has better caps, wiring and jacks than the standard model. That in turn is connected to a self-built Aikido 5687 pre into a custom-built TVC passive (Nick Gorham, S&B copper TVCs with magnetic relays and remote control) into a CJ LP66S (Tung Sol 6550/Telefunken E188CC/GE 6189) into Sonus Faber Guarnieri Memento stand mounts. The CJ and the speakers were being used by Nick at Whittlebury this year. Most of the equipment is mounted on a Something Solid rack and the rest is sitting on an oak tablle. Everything is supported by Gingko Audio clouds.

Until 6 months ago, I was using a Notts Ace Space Deck with heavy upgrade, a rewired SME-IV and a Dynavector XX-2 cartridge.

I've been playing with different interconnects for about 3 years. Until 2 weeks ago my reference IC cables were silver litz by Peter Empson at Deco Audio but due to their lower price and the recommendations on this forum, I was using a top end Yannis Tome silver litzt phono cable with silver Eichmann bullets and one of the ICs in the circuit was a second Yannis Tome with Nextgen WBT silver plugs.

I heard Dom Harper's prototype cartridge at the MRCU fest a couple of months ago and was so enthused that I ordered one. It should be ready in the next couple of weeks. During talks with Dom, he told me that he thought his shielded solid silver ICs (no litz, one strand per channel) would match any IC on the market, or at least give them a good run for the money.He also lent me one with Chinese Furutech-like plugs to listen to, and I compared it to the Tome and ended up buying it. It sounded better to my ears but I haven't done enough A/B comparisons to be willing to write a detailed review at this point. But the difference was large enough, that I ended up buying a new phono interconnect of the same type, terminated with Furutech Rhodium plated plugs. This review is about that phono IC.

Most of the wiring in my system is silver, including the Ikeda internal wiring in the tone arm and the AN-V shielded wiring in the phono stage. However, copper is used within the TVC passive, the CJ amp and the speaker cables and Xovers.

In the past with the Notts, I have listened to phono cables from AN-V, SME, Furutech and Oyaide. The AN-V was superb and was my phono cable of choice but it has a DIN connector on the phono side and I am trying to sell it on eBay because the Verdier has RCA Eichmann jacks. The others did not sound as clear but when I bought the Verdier, due to the recommendations on this forun, I went for the Yannis Tome cables. The build quality is superb and they sounded fine. The only comparisons I've made until now were with Western Electric tinned copped cables, which sounded artificially warm and less clear. Peter Empson heard the Tome cables and found they were good but not superb. I was quite happy with the clarity of the sound but suspected that it could be improved.

Review: The Dom Harper phono cables are relatively thin, flexible, hand-built, shielded cables, without any additional ground wires, which I had to make myself. The cables look good but the only bling are the Furutech connectors, which are carbon fibre plus stainless rings, and make a very solid connection through an external barrel which tightens them onto the jacks. Apparently these connectors account for 200 GBP of the 700 GBP price. It took about a week for delivery after I placed the order.

I have now had them in my system for two weeks and replaced them again with the Yannis Tome cables yesterday evening for comparison. An experienced friend with a very high end system was here at the time and my wife was present for both comparisons as well. I have now listened to a variety of records, including some of the 'Divinity' according to Salvatore Rubio. My friend brought his own test records with him yesterday. I have listened to a concert (Kleiber's Brahms 4th Symphony), choral (Jefta on Proprius), vocal, Indie, jazz (Keith Jarrett, Jan Garbarek), recent (London Grammar0, older (Cowboy Junkies Trinity Session) and many others. The sound of the Harper ICs is clean and enchanting on many records. They improve the sound stage, giving better distinction between different sound sources. Due to that improved sound stage, both loud and quiet sources from different instruments are simultaneously audible. In the A/B comparisons with the Tome cables, those give a more diffuse sound, with less pin-pointing of sources. The Harper cables reveal a solid, tight bass and clear trebles, which are being cut-off by the Tome cables. On one record yesterday evening, I was hearing some sort of additional treble scratching sound with the Tome cables that turned into a quiet, stringed instrument with the Harper cables. Listening to some of the Sheffield Labs DD records with the Harper cables made me finally understand why these records are so highly reputed. With the Tome cables they sounded fine but were not all that exciting.

Many records sound enchanting with the Harper cables, and I feel drawn into the music in a way I haven't had before with the Verdier and the SPU. Other records are not as enchanting, which is probably not surprising. We'll see what happens when the new cartridge arrives.

If anybody wants to come by and listen for themselves, I live in the Midlands a few miles from Leamington Spa, Stratford Upon Avon and Bradley, and visitors are welcome.

Mark

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Very interesting Mark , kineton is a nice village , I live in Banbury.

Nice system you have.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Very interesting Mark , kineton is a nice village , I live in Banbury.

Nice system you have.
    I'd be overjoyed to meet people in the vicinity who are interested in HiFi and music. If you want to come by, send me a PN.
    Mark

I'm Keith.

Review - moved to 'Strokes of Genius'
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    Review - moved to 'Strokes of Genius'
    Sorry, I wasn't sure where to put it. Thanks for moving it.
    Mark

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by machtman View Post
    I'd be overjoyed to meet people in the vicinity who are interested in HiFi and music. If you want to come by, send me a PN.
    Mark
    That's very kind of you, thanks.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your review - most interesting... All that's missing are some pictures! Perhaps you could supply some of your system and/or of Dom's phono cable?

I love many aspects of your system, but the Verdier is stunning - it must sound fab with the SME 3012/SPU 90th Anni!!

I'm not surprised that Dom's cable is excellent - he knows what he's doing.

However, just to ensure that we're comparing 'apples with apples', as it were, could you confirm that the "top end" Yannis tonearm cable you're using is specifically a 423.5 Phono Silver Litz, fitted with a Furutech CF-DIN(R) plug?

The latter is crucial, as it has a specific sonic effect which maximises the performance of the 423.5 Silver Litz cable, whether fitted with Eichmann Silver Bullets or WBT NextGen 0110Ag RCAs.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mark.

Thanks for your review - most interesting... All that's missing are some pictures!
    Thanks for the kind comments. You may not remember but we met at the MCRU fest when you brought your SPU and I was trying to show off the Aikido pre. The photos are hopefully now posted. There is one of my system with the Something Solid supporting from top to bottom the Verdier, the CJ and the wooden box containing the Aikido. People at Owston saw the Aikido already. The rack to the right contains the phono stage sitting on the TVC pre and a Linn Renew on the lower shelf. I've also posted separate photos of the Harper phono cable stuck into the Verdier (which is actually the Auditorium 23 version and has a brass mounting board) and into the phono stage. There is a separate photo of the Yannis cable.

Perhaps you could supply some of your system and/or of Dom's phono cable?

I love many aspects of your system, but the Verdier is stunning - it must sound fab with the SME 3012/SPU 90th Anni!!
    I bought the Verdier without having heard it and am very pleased I have done so. It is about 6 years old whereas the arm was built about 1970. Since I got it in June, it has improved through changing from Baerwald to Stephenson alignment, going up from 3 to 3.5 gm tracking force and by putting the passive behind the active pre. This is a lot of pre-amplification for what is actually all attenuation but it does work better than without the combination. The Something Solid makes a big improvement as well and now the phono cable has brought it up still another notch.

I'm not surprised that Dom's cable is excellent - he knows what he's doing.
    I think everybody who has met and talked with Dom would agree with you. I'm using the occasion of picking up the cartridge to take my TT to him and have him adjust the arm optimally and also to dial in his cartridge into an Oyaide headshell and my old Dynavector XX-2 into a Yamamoto headshell such that I can simply exchange them and adjust VTA without having to adjust the arm alignment when I exchange headshells.

However, just to ensure that we're comparing 'apples with apples', as it were, could you confirm that the "top end" Yannis tonearm cable you're using is specifically a 423.5 Phono Silver Litz, fitted with Furutech CF-DIN(R) plug (the latter is crucial, as it has a specific sonic effect which maximises the performance of the 423.5 Silver Litz, when fitted with either Eichmann Silver Bullets or WBT NextGen 0110Ag RCAs)?

Marco.
    Sorry, these are not the cables you are referring to. They are 223.5 phono litz terminated with Eichman Silver bullets, also known as Gaia cables. I ordered them last January once I had bought the Verdier. The Verdier has RCA jacks on the mounting board which is why I couldn't use my AN-V which has an SME DIN5 connector, and with which I was very happy. It's not clear to me how you would fit a DIN plug into RCA jacks so I suspect you are thinking SME and equating that with DIN. But this is a very old SME arm and doesn't use a DIN connector. At the time I ordered this cable, Yannis, who is a real gentleman and very pleasant, felt that this was his best phono cable and thought that the Eichmann bullets sounded better on the phono cable whereas he recommended NextGen WBT for regular ICs.

Hope this clarifies matters.
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm David.

I'm Robin.

I'm using Dom's Tempest interconnect b'tween phonostage and pre. Bloody good it is.
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast