+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exposure 2010s2 digital attenuation vs dedicated pre

I'm Dawson.

Default Exposure 2010s2 digital attenuation vs dedicated pre

I recently bought an Exposure 2010s2 dac to compliment my 23/28 pre power amps.

Sounding great, but I only ever use 1 input on the pre (for the dac) - the rest of my kit hooks up via toslink. Bit of a waste really and since the 2010s2 offers digital attenuation, I figured id try running it directly to the power amp.

Minimal digital attentuation is necessary to acheive a comfortable volume and the discrete output stage is of good quality. It also features variable voltage so if it is not loud enough at "-1" you can increase the volume further up to "+20" which I presume is when voltage increase takes place maxing out at 4.5v. So, plenty of volume on tap for my listening room and some kind of active circuitry to boost things further.

Id have thought that a shorter signal path and smaller box count would result in a cleaner sound but im not sure what to think of it... The sound is noticeabley different-punchier and brighter, but it seems to lack a certain drive/weight.

I am not sure if this new sound signature is due to the lack of colouration that the pre introduces or whether the power amp is just happier being driven by its natural partner (23 pre)??

Ive read a few comments regarding preamp dacs vs dedicated active pres and people tend to agree that dac pres are rarely as good as a decent standalone box. What do you guys reckon?

I'm David.

There's another thread on people's preamp experiences that touches on this subject http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...amp-experience
    My own (admittedly limited) experience is that I prefer the sound of my DAC on variable output straight into my power amp rather than using the DAC on fixed output into the preamp (Quad 34) and then into the power amp (Quad 303).

I'm John.

I have a similar decision to make.

I have an Exposure pre and power combo. I recently bought a Benchmark Dac2 HGC which I’m absolutely delighted with. The HGC has what the pro audio world at least view as a first class pre amp along with a really outstanding headphone amp.

It didn’t take me long to decide that the Benchmark headphone amp made my World Audio HD 83 sound wooly and indistinct in comparison, although I can understand why some may like the HD 83 presentation. I made what I thought was a fair comparison by listening to various mike feeds through both amps; music and a variety of test tones from a tone generator. There really wasn’t much room for doubt tbh.

However, having had Exposure kit for most of my audio interest years I must assume that either there is a particular sound to this combination or, I have some deep seated sense of orderliness and just think the two units should be together because I can’t make my mind up which I prefer, the Benchmark Pre and Exposure power or the Exposure combination.

I’m going to borrow a scope around Christmas and see if I can measure anything that might help me make my mind up.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Dawson.

Haha you read my mind John We have very similar amps actually - the 23 pre is based on the 21 and the 28 is dual mono version of the stereo 18. I figured bypassing the pre would be quite transparent but it's a very different presentation... 23 pre = smooth, weighty/full bodied and easy to turn up the wick... 2010s2 dac direct = brighter and punchy upfront sound which gets a bit much at high volumes. Either is decent, but I think I will stick with the pre. I'm surprised at how much it contributes to the overall sound signature, 23/28 have a great synergy as a combo.

Let me know how you get on with that scope!

+ Reply to Thread