+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oh yes it is ......

I'm Brian.

Default Oh yes it is ......

A couple of weeks ago I posted on the forum asking for some suggestions for new capacitors for my old Rega EL8 speakers . However on further inspection I discovered that one of the crossovers had broken up .This then went from being a simple replacement job to a much more complicated repair / refurb job .
    P1010166.jpg

I contacted Paul at Reffc to ask for some advice . He asked me to send the crossovers to him and said he would have a look at them to see what could be done . Well, after a couple of days of emailing and phone call this is what arrived on my doorstep yesterday morning.
    _MG_7562.jpg
    Now I hear you say 'that isn't the same crossover ' Oh yes it is ... .
    Well it is and it isn't . Only the capacitor and the backing board are different . I know it looks totally different , but all the other parts are the same parts which were fitted to the old crossover . Considering the fantastic price which Paul quoted the quality of this repair and refurbishment are first class to say the least.
    I've decided to leave the crossovers outside the speaker enclosure and have ordered a couple of ABS boxes to house them in and I've also decided to hard wire wherever possible .
    I haven't received the ABS boxes yet , but I couldn't wait any longer , so I decided to wire everything up using connectors . It's early days yet but initial impressions are that this has been a very worthwhile exercise . So far big improvements in all areas , particularly the bass , which now sounds deeper , fuller and more musical .
    As I liked these little speakers Paul also took the trouble to make sure that the 'voicing ' or general characteristics of the EL8s remained the same and I'm sure he has succeeded in this . Only time will tell.
    I will post further on this project in a day or two when the crossovers have had some use and the project is finalised .
    Well pleased so far . Thanks Paul (:
    Last edited by brian2957; 02-12-2013 at 12:44.

I'm Paul.

You're very welcome Brian and glad the EL8s are now back on song for you

I'm Brian.

You betcha mate . I'm listening to them as I write this . They've never sounded so good.Fantastic

I'm Brian.

Well I've been listening to my system for the last couple of days ( can't really stop ) and reacquainting myself with some old friends in my music collection . The speakers have improved over the last couple of days to the extent that I have come to believe that the crossover refurbishment performed by Paul has been a major upgrade . There have been significant improvements in all areas of my systems performance . Bass is tighter , deeper , and more musical . Mids , particularly voices are sublime and in the room much more than before . Everything just seems so much more organized with instruments and singers very nicely separated . The treble is so sweet and natural . Occasionally a cymbal kicks in and I've never heard things sound so natural . I'm hearing a lot more detail from very familiar albums . All this from refurbishing the crossovers on an old set of speakers . I was going to think about upgrading the speakers in the new year , however , these little guys are staying for the foreseeable future . If anyone here is using an older set of speakers I can thoroughly recommend talking to Paul at Reffc about refurbishing them . This has been one of the best , most cost effective , changes to a system I've encountered in a long while.

I'm Gary.

Magic mate.

Need to get along and hear them real soon.

I'm Brian.

Your always welcome mate .

synsei Guest

Sweet as... Paul really knows his onions (and crossovers), enjoy them Brian. I seem to recognize that silly grin you're wearing by the way

I'm tony.

Very interesting Brian, didn't think much was wrong with your systems sound last time I was across. Any chance of a PM with cost details and a synopsis of whether a daftee like myself could manage to get the cross over out my spendor sp1s without much tears and snotters. Could well be my next upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread