+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Naim CDI death

I'm Paul.

Default Naim CDI death

So looks like my CDI has decided to die on me… well I can play 1 out of 10 CD's and only after turning it on and off again… keep getting the dreaded 'Err' message.

Now what to get as a replacement - I am not wedded to Naim but I do like the CDX2 or a CDS2/3 if I could find the money (or a cheap one )

Any other thoughts?

Paul.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    So looks like my CDI has decided to die on me… well I can play 1 out of 10 CD's and only after turning it on and off again… keep getting the dreaded 'Err' message.

Now what to get as a replacement - I am not wedded to Naim but I do like the CDX2 or a CDS2/3 if I could find the money (or a cheap one )

Any other thoughts?

Paul.
    Paul,

If you like it, why not see if you can get it mended?

I use and heartily recommend Stephen Horowitz in Hendon, North London (just off the North Circular/A1 junction) who rescued both an Audio Research CD1 and a Luxman CDP for me for perfectly reasonable money (about a ton each IIRC, including a new mechanism) - considerably less than a decent CDP!

I can give you contact details if you are interested.

P

I'm Paul.

That'd be useful Peter… can you PM them?

Although it has to be said that I know Naim don't have any spare mechanisms which is more or less likely to be the issue considering the 'Err' constantly happening
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Richard.

They can be fixed, even without new transports being available. I brought one back from the dead, showing exactly the same fault as yours earlier this year. I tried the obvious first by getting a new puck (which was needed anyway as the old one wasn't that effective anymore) but no joy. Then took the transport out and replaced the electrolytic caps on the transport daughter board (4 IIRC), wasn't that. So managed to get hold of a replacement Phillips CDM-9/44 transport from Ebay for around £50. Took no more than an hour to perform the transplant, the most fiddly bit of which is inserting the ribbon cable from the new transport into the socket on the main board, screwed everything back together and hey presto! As good as new!
    Rich

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    They can be fixed, even without new transports being available. I brought one back from the dead, showing exactly the same fault as yours earlier this year. I tried the obvious first by getting a new puck (which was needed anyway as the old one wasn't that effective anymore) but no joy. Then took the transport out and replaced the electrolytic caps on the transport daughter board (4 IIRC), wasn't that. So managed to get hold of a replacement Phillips CDM-9/44 transport from Ebay for around £50. Took no more than an hour to perform the transplant, the most fiddly bit of which is inserting the ribbon cable from the new transport into the socket on the main board, screwed everything back together and hey presto! As good as new!
    Wow really Rich,

I'm not that great with this electronics stuff but a new puck (spare I'd bought a while ago) seems to have helped a lot.

You're not too far from me so maybe you'd be able to help me if there is a need to replace the transport at some point

I'm Richard.

Hi Paul,
    Sorry, only just picked up on this thread again after a few days away. Yes, I'm in Swindon so if you get stuck, I'd be more than happy to help get your CDi back up and running. Just don't let me plug it into my system because I'm only going to want one again ;-).
    Rich

+ Reply to Thread