+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pioneer PL-12D - Shure EJT2 Stylus bent?? - TT Newbie questions

I'm Jayson.

Default Pioneer PL-12D - Shure EJT2 Stylus bent?? - TT Newbie questions

Hi all,

I received my first TT today - very exciting stuff. It's a PL-12D recommended by a few people on here for a vintage setup. I've got a few questions if anyone could just kindly clarify them for me.

1. I opened it up because there was a rattling inside - part of the tone arm weight had managed to get in there. Anyways i come across this pre-amp (Eagle international) and I'm fairly certain it shouldn't be there. Is it ok to have the cables going into the preamp terminated to RCA posts on the back panel and just take out the amp?

2. The TT came with a Shure M75EJ Type 2 cartridge and Shure EJT2 Stylus, upon close inspection it looks bent to me (but have no idea), wouldn't mind a second opinion on that one. If i need to change it would people recommend getting a whole new Cart/Stylus or just replacing the Stylus?

3. On the tone arm what is the smaller weight on the left for? (like to get a better understanding)

4. Lastly what is the metal ring in the TT mat for? It is removable.

Thanks for baring with me here, i know a lot of these are basic questions i could have researched but I personally prefer to just ask you guys and get a tailored response

Jayson

I'm Geoff.

Nice purchase. Good little TT.

Yeah, bin the Eagle phono pre-amp. It's crap! (actually, you might get a few quid on eBay for it)

Yes the stylus is furked! just get a new one off eBay, the Shure bodies seem to last forever. Any of the 75 series styli will fit.

The small weight is for 'lateral balance', but can be removed, as this will clean up the arm's resonance trace (less to 'ring').

The metal ring in the mat is just a trim. It does no harm that I'm aware of. Can be left or removed! A better mat helps on the PL-12D
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm sorted.

I use a cork mat on my PL112D and it sounds better than the original

I'm Jayson.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nice purchase. Good little TT.

Yeah, bin the Eagle phono pre-amp. It's crap! (actually, you might get a few quid on eBay for it)

Yes the stylus is furked! just get a new one off eBay, the Shure bodies seem to last forever. Any of the 75 series styli will fit.

The small weight is for 'lateral balance', but can be removed, as this will clean up the arm's resonance trace (less to 'ring').

The metal ring in the mat is just a trim. It does no harm that I'm aware of. Can be left or removed! A better mat helps on the PL-12D
    Cheers Geoff, thats just what i needed. In terms of Stylus's the original shures seem fairly expensive on the eBays - there's some third party stuff "Dreher & Kauf" " Diamond" etc - any thoughts or just stick with the real deal. I will bare the cork mat in mind.

I'm Geoff.

Can't advise on the non Shure made styli as I've not used them.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jayson.

Right got my stylus from this guy "http://www.edsaunders.com/shurestylus.htm" - read a few good things about his stylus's for the M75 cartridge - about £22 from the US, now time to get the soldering iron out!

synsei Guest

That's a tidy looking 12D, well done that man

I'm Jayson.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    That's a tidy looking 12D, well done that man
    Cheers - wish it was mine to keep!

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lace'd Taste View Post
    Cheers - wish it was mine to keep!
    Ah, I got the impression from your OP that it was your first TT...

I'm Jayson.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Ah, I got the impression from your OP that it was your first TT...
    Well it's mine to play/ tinker with until the 21st December then it get wrapped up and passed on to the missus - i may have to get myself one in the new year though!

+ Reply to Thread