+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonearm recommendations please

I'm John.

Default Tonearm recommendations please

Good morning Gents!

I recently replaced my Transfiguration Axia with a Bluelectric Virus cartridge - this is a heavy(ish) one, at 14 gr, with a relatively low compliance (6x10^-6 cm/dyne), that tracks at 2.5 gr. While I intend to use it with my current Rega 300 for the time being, I would potentially be looking at replacing it with a medium/high mass (14/15 gr and over) tonearm as per manufacturer's recommendation. My t/t has an older Rega threaded base - so I would be looking for a drop in replacement of the same geometry. I assume that anything from Origin Live, Audionote, Audiomods should fit the bill but, as I have no experience with any of the above, any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Budget is tightish (around 400-500 quid) and would thus prefer to buy used. Goes without saying that, if anyone has something to sell/offer, I'm certainly listening.
    Cheers!

I'm Gone.

The Origin Live Silver is around 675 new, so a second hand one may just about be in your budget. In my opinion it is the best Rega geometry arm I have heard, it blows the RB1000 out of the water. Best thing is to audition as many as possible

Best of luck

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    The Origin Live Silver is around 675 new, so a second hand one may just about be in your budget. In my opinion it is the best Rega geometry arm I have heard, it blows the RB1000 out of the water. Best thing is to audition as many as possible

Best of luck
    Thank you, thank you, my purchase has been vindicated.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post

Best of luck
    Cheers Paul; The Silver is def on my short (or wish) list -though they rarely turn up for sale. Is the current version that much better than the previous guises (MK1-Mk2)? Those seem to pop up occasionally in the used market.
    Any thoughts on the less expensive Onyx?
    Auditioning different tonearms here will be a problem...

I'm Tony.

Pretty sure there was one for sale/interest check on the wam the other day, £500 or so.

Sorry it was an audio mods arm, now sold

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread...Micrometer-arm

I'm paul.

That's a shame as I think the Audiomods is better sounding than the silver
    in my humble thick arse lowlife opinion of course
    Paul

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by loo View Post
    That's a shame as I think the Audiomods is better sounding than the silver
    in my humble thick arse lowlife opinion of course
    Paul
    There was one for sale on canuck audio recently too, same as the one linked to I think, roughly the same price.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    There was one for sale on canuck audio recently too, same as the one linked to I think, roughly the same price.
    Nice , but if John has a doner rega I think Jeff at Audiomods could supply a new one for about the same money
    with his great warranty and future proof update service
    Paul

I'm Gone.

I think the Onyx is a great arm and probably is better than the Mk 1 Silver. That said, I've only heard it at shows, not in my system with a chance to really study the sound. I really like OL product a lot, they seem to always give a lot of "Bang for your buck" and they produce both great detail and dynamics, a good trick for a tonearm to pull off (not a lot manage both).

I'm John.

Thanks for all your input gents, much appreciated.
    I have been reading up on the Audiomods tonearm; the consensus seems to be a very positive one. Apparently Jeff can match it to specific cartridge requirements so that should be worth a look. Anyone knows if the price list quoted on the website is a current one?
    On an entirely different note, does anyone happen to know what geometry Notts Analogue tonearms use? Always had a soft spot for that company..
    Cheers
    J.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast