+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Changes at HFW

I'm joe.

HFW is perhaps the single most boring thing I've ever read, and I speak as one who did Economics A level.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi All,
    I too grew up surrounded by the usual hi fi mags of the day,and in that respect, i hold my Dad solely responsible for the way i turned out!
    But seriously, over the years [certainly before my internet experience] i spent many an hour scouring through Hi FI World, Choice, News and Plus and dare i say, a few others, etc, so, i too am genuinely concerned about their inevitable demise, which is why i am hopping that internet forums such as AOS, and others will eventually provide a convenient and safe haven for all the good reviewers out there who wish to continue on their quest to help and enlighten the general public on all matters HI FI related' well into the next few decades at least.
    Anthony,TD...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Clive.

It is with great regret that so many of you slag off HFW or HFN and occasionally HFC. These three magazines have for so many years provided me with huge entertainment and informed opinion. Yes, not everything in the garden is wonderful and I don't agree or like everything that is written, so I just don't bother reading the item, but you can't blame the magazine staff writers just because you can't afford some of the gear reviewed and there are people out there who can, maybe it's a bit of jealousy. If you don't like the mag, just vote with your wallet and stop snipping at hard working staff.

Now WHAT HIFI I voted with my wallet years ago!

Clive
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I still quite like HFW and HIfi news , buy em occasionally though not every month .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    It is with great regret that so many of you slag off HFW or HFN and occasionally HFC. These three magazines have for so many years provided me with huge entertainment and informed opinion. Yes, not everything in the garden is wonderful and I don't agree or like everything that is written, so I just don't bother reading the item, but you can't blame the magazine staff writers just because you can't afford some of the gear reviewed and there are people out there who can, maybe it's a bit of jealousy. If you don't like the mag, just vote with your wallet and stop snipping at hard working staff.

Now WHAT HIFI I voted with my wallet years ago!

Clive
    I speak as I find. I bought a copy of HFW to wile away the time on a train journey. Within the first minute or so, its turgid prose had sent me to sleep. Every so often I'd try reading an article, only to nod off again.

I used to buy HFN for the classical record reviews, but they cut those right down and thus lost my interest.

Now, HiFi+ I do like, because Alan Sircom can actually write in an interesting way, plus he reviewed an HMHB album, so he can do no wrong in my eyes, and the reviews of £10,000 cables are at least good for a laugh.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I speak as I find. I bought a copy of HFW to wile away the time on a train journey. Within the first minute or so, its turgid prose had sent me to sleep. Every so often I'd try reading an article, only to nod off again.

I used to buy HFN for the classical record reviews, but they cut those right down and thus lost my interest.

Now, HiFi+ I do like, because Alan Sircom can actually write in an interesting way, plus he reviewed an HMHB album, so he can do no wrong in my eyes, and the reviews of £10,000 cables are at least good for a laugh.
    I do think the writing quality in HFW has deteriorated since Adam and David Price left. I think main thing is that there is now more digital/computer audio stuff than vinyl. I note that all the analogue reviews are now being done by Tony Bolton. In the past the magazine was very much hobbyist and vinyl based and this has continued to diminish in spite of a growing public interest in that area due to forums. I do agree about Alan Sircom and remember him from his days when HFW was in it's infancy. Unfortunately Hi-Fi+ does still pander towards the stupidly expensive and often unobtainable if unaffordable as it has to appeal to the US and Far East markets to survive. I'm sure Alan is constrained by the policies of it's now American owners. Unfortunately not enough content for the money for me so I am not tempted back to it.

Hi-Fi News has the best balance of content now in spite of the proliferation of uber expensive equipment reviews. I do think the reviewing standards remain high but a few more real world product reviews could help UK sales for it and the other mags. I think one problem is there is a lack of original and interesting budget hi-fi at the present. I'm sure they get sent more uber expensive stuff to review as the designers need the publicity and someone to wax lyrical in order to successfully target the small number of buyers these are aimed at.

I'm Steve.

I met Noel Keywood of Hi-Fi World many years ago, and can confirm he is a very pleasant and thoughtful man. He was at the time working out of a London house with a young staff of about 8.

There is a lot to running a magazine aside from stacking up some equipment and having a listen. People want frequency response and some idea of how it sounds with Jazz, Rock and Classical music, but strangely have NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER in the equally important phase alignment of the loudspeaker drive units. The commercial and business side is also a large part.

It is a pity that DIY audio has almost disappeared in the UK, with shops like Maplin no longer doing it. HFW used to champion that. I have read so many reviews of loudspeakers, which NEVER discuss the all-important crossover that decides its sound. Or the drive unit choices in general. In the end, these magazines only take you so far.

Of course, the designers want to keep their secrets, the reviewers agree not to pry to closely, but in fact there are very few secrets. It's just they're not telling. Otherwise you'd not need to buy the next issue or buy the next loudspeaker. I kid you not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123