+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Receiver?

I'm Andrei.

Default What Receiver?

My brother has his eye on a NAD T787 receiver. He has a 5.1 system in a small man-cave, but his existing Pioneer receiver does not cut the mustard. As a result he does not need vast amounts of power. He tells me that audio quality is the priority.

Is the NAD a good bet?

I know nothing about receivers as I am a 2-channel man but unfortunately I am the 'go-to guru'. I have suggested he hang-fire until he looks at brands like Marantz and Anthem but that is a bit vague. He can get the NAD for the equivalent of £2,000 but his budget could go above that. Any suggestions?
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Martin.

My experience has been that there is not an awful lot of difference between any of them. Does he want better SQ for watching films or for listening to music? Or both. What source(s) is he using? What speakers and sub. He's probably better off chucking the money at the speakers or front end or both to get a noticeable improvement, unless they are already both top notch.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

I have no idea on the current models but the old NAD/Arcam shared design AV amps/receivers were awful & full of bad design decisions. I've always liked Denon/Sony ES AV amps.

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My experience has been that there is not an awful lot of difference between any of them. Does he want better SQ for watching films or for listening to music? Or both. What source(s) is he using? What speakers and sub. He's probably better off chucking the money at the speakers or front end or both to get a noticeable improvement, unless they are already both top notch.
    Ahh! I had suspected as much about the sound quality. Not entirely sure of the rest of the system. Jamo speakers, Velodyne sub, not sure of the source but he will be getting an Oppo 95 or Oppo 105. It is for Bluray movies and CDs. I have persuaded him that if he had 5.1 channels at his disposal he should be playing SACds.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Martin.

Oppo and Velodyne get my approval. Jamo speakers tend to vary from dismal to outstanding depending on the model so that may well be the weak link. The receiver would be the last thing I'd change unless he is in need of more power.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm inthescottishmafia.

If it were my money, I'd buy a processor and three Temple Audio Gold amps or similar Class D amps. They are small enough to tuck away, much cheaper to buy and run, and will sound better than any but possibly the most expensive receivers IMHO.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

yes but processors tend to be high end only and consequently expensive. Unless you know of a budget one? In which case I would be interested myself.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I don't, not my thang. I'd imagine some receivers must have pre outs though?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

Yes, some do.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I daresay the OP could buy something like this-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAG-McLare...item2a3442a4bb

and enough Class D channels to do the job, still save a fortune on his budget, and get better sound to boot.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast