View Poll Results: Which would be your choice of platter mat from the following:

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Herbie's Lab 'Way Excellent'

0 0%
  • Blue Horizon 2 part cork/composite

3 100.00%
  • Rubato Copper mat

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts please

I'm Dan.

Default Thoughts please

Ok iv'e been offered some platter mats a Herbie's Lab 'Way Excellent',Blue Horizon 2 part cork/composite and a Rubato Copper mat for my techy 1210 which would be best? I havent got a clue or even could this be a 'Poll'?
    Audio Innovations S500 integrated, Art Skibo's, Quad 66 CDP.

I'm Gone.

The two part Blue Horizon is the Garrard mat we developed while I was witj Loricraft Audio. It's part of the energy control strategy I worked on for Garrard and other kit. It's made of a compound originally developed for the CEGB to make mountings for the turbines in nuclear power stations where it's kind of vital to lose vibrational energy beforeit gets back to the reactor. As the turbines got older and more worn this became a problem and they looked for a material that would absorb and damp all frequencies evenly, this stuff was the result.

I think it's a great product and I no longer have any financial axe to grind with it, but would still recommend it whole heartedly. We have them on both techies and Have just got on for the GL78.

Good luck

I'm Geoff.

Once you get into mat swapping you'll never be quite content. They all have subtly different effects on the sound and that varies according to what arm and cartridge you are using at the time. You'll end up chopping and changing forever.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Once you get into mat swapping you'll never be quite content. They all have subtly different effects on the sound and that varies according to what arm and cartridge you are using at the time. You'll end up chopping and changing forever.
    Just looking for an upgrade over the standard only want to change it once but has to be good and fairly cheap.Using standard arm and SAE 1000 Lt cartridge.

I'm Richard.

There certainly isn't going to be a definitive answer that someone can give you by adjusting a slide rule or checking the alignment of the stars. The only way you'll know for sure is by trying them and listening. A bit it depends on the balance of everything else and what you like. The Achromat, probably the new Marco Delrin wonder mat, and the Blue Horizon from Pauls description of it, are all likely to be attempts at "neutral" - letting you get accurate and revealing if the rest of the kit balances. Others like cork or felt might give you a "flavour" you like, if you are using a system whose limitations mean that the subtleties of the "neutral" mats might just sound dull.

Of course - without a shop that stocks them all, its kinda hard to try them out. There are a few shops you could try. I was really impressed by the Maidstone independant. I would avoid Soundcraft in Ashford. Of course - they won't have a Techie for you to try them on.

If you could describe it - what do you want a mat to do to your sound?

I'm Dan.

Just want a mat thats not going to add anything or take anything away.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by ledzep View Post
    Ok iv'e been offered some platter mats a Herbie's Lab 'Way Excellent',Blue Horizon 2 part cork/composite and a Rubato Copper mat for my techy 1210 which would be best? I havent got a clue or even could this be a 'Poll'?
    you could put the money towards an ETP platter then no mat is required, or I can send you a 2 part cork/rubber mat f.o.c to be going on with (i ordered 50 x 2 part mats and the supplier sent me 500 by mistake!!!!)?

I'm ChrisB.

you could put the money towards an ETP platter
    Why can't you see that there's no sale for you here David?
    Read the thread - Dan has been offered some mats and wants to know which might be the best

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Why can't you see that there's no sale for you here David?
    Read the thread - Dan has been offered some mats and wants to know which might be the best
    Quite correct but you failed to mention the part where I offered Dan a mat for FREE

I'm Neil.

Hi Dan

The Oyaide mat + an Oyaide BRone rubber under mat would be worth trying, though the matching record weight is a synergistic match to the mat so ultimately would be required to get the full performance as the designers intended.

Regards Neil
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast