+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you enjoy your system?

I'm David.

Default Do you enjoy your system?

This question was asked on another forum recently. I'm fairly new to AOS, but I've noticed that if you look at the number of people viewing the forum at any time the highest numbers are usually to be found on the Private Exhibitions forum. Is that simply curiosity to see who's selling what, or are people viewing with the hope of finding the 'holy grail' at the right price?

I've had several enjoyable systems; my first hifi system, simply because it allowed me to listen to music, then a system od an Arcam Alpha CD player, Pioneer A400 and Tannoy Mercury speakers was very enjoyable. Recently, just prior to my current system, which I enjoy greatly, I had a very modest system of a laptop streaming mp3s from iTunes wirelessly to a FatMan hybrid amp and a pair of Q Acoustics 2010 speakers. Not the last word in fidelity, but, set to random play I could listen to it all day long.

Perhaps "do you enjoy your system?" is the wrong question. A better question would be: does your system allow you to enjoy music?

synsei Guest

In it's current form my system is very enjoyable indeed delivering music just the way I like it. Over the last five days I have been playing with a few new (to me) bits and pieces, swapping stuff out here, replacing IC's there and nothing quite gelled. Whether it's a case of me enjoying the sound of my usual configuration is up for debate, but I am very happy with it non-the-less

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Just got a vinyl front end up and running, which I've not had for nearly 30 years, and I can't tear myself away from it. Haven't enjoyed playing choons like this as much ever before I don't think..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Just got a vinyl front end up and running, which I've not had for nearly 30 years, and I can't tear myself away from it. Haven't enjoyed playing choons like this as much ever before I don't think..
    Congratulations Ali although there is some irony in this situation as the missus and I have just come to the decision to go solely file based. Because of my back injury it is nigh on impossible for me to spin any vinyl and since the beginning of the year I can count on my fingers how many times I have put a record on the Techie. Most of my listening these days is either done via Spotify or through Foobar. Occasionally I might spin up a CD just for kicks.

I'm Tom.

I have owned a vast number of expensive and sometimes esoteric systems but none have given me as much raw pleasure as the current system that I am listening to in an impossibly tiny room, composed of obsolete components.

Two recent additions have just blown me away - a pair of JPW AP3s, which gave me the sound I have long craved for from a speaker, then in the last couple of days a "mystery" interconnect given to me to evaluate. It is this last addition that has truly made the sound alive and vibrant, dynamic and detailed, powerful yet full of tonal colours, so I want for none better than what I have tonight. I really will sorely miss this cable when it has to be returned

This week has seen some very late bed times

I'm Robin.

I'm trying to figure which is more important to me - the system or the music. Thing is, I can't really enjoy the music unless the system is good, wallpaper listening excepted of course.
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Congratulations Ali although there is some irony in this situation as the missus and I have just come to the decision to go solely file based. Because of my back injury it is nigh on impossible for me to spin any vinyl and since the beginning of the year I can count on my fingers how many times I have put a record on the Techie. Most of my listening these days is either done via Spotify or through Foobar. Occasionally I might spin up a CD just for kicks.
    Dave, really sorry to hear this. I guess most of us take our health for granted. Not saying the file side is poor, I do after all have the TFS and the prototype of Nick's brilliant dac, so it's not all one sided. That will be an interesting comparison on Sunday, with the Mafia here, as I several Hi Rez tracks that I also have on vinyl.

Obviously it's the novelty for me at the moment, I haven't played the TFS since I turned the 401 on, so it'll be interesting what some unbiased ears make of it.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Dave, really sorry to hear this. I guess most of us take our health for granted. Not saying the file side is poor, I do after all have the TFS and the prototype of Nick's brilliant dac, so it's not all one sided. That will be an interesting comparison on Sunday, with the Mafia here, as I several Hi Rez tracks that I also have on vinyl.

Obviously it's the novelty for me at the moment, I haven't played the TFS since I turned the 401 on, so it'll be interesting what some unbiased ears make of it.
    To be honest Ali it's a decision I've been putting off for a while. It's not that my Techie doesn't sound wonderful, it does, it is purely a pragmatic decision born out of necessity. I love your 401 incidentally, it has been my dream to own one since the 1970's

I'm ILOB.

Love my system and more important listening to music
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye, it's a great bit of kit, Dom had a good look at Owston and tells me it's in fine fettle and looks little used. Certainly the thrust bearing seems to bear that out. The slate plinth really makes the most of it.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast