+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audio out options for a digital TV

I'm lewis.

Default Audio out options for a digital TV

Wondering what people do when they have a modern TV with digital audio outputs and an analogue HiFi system.

I have a Samsung UE40EH5000 with optical and headphone out (which I'm currently using, but not happy with it) and wanted to find a way to get the audio into my Quad system (909 amp, 34 pre, ESL 63's). I've tried an optical to RCA converter unit (cheaply bought on ebay for around £12) but that gave out such a low level signal that I had to run the amp nearly full on ! Tried swapping inputs, leads - they even sent me a replacement ..... but just not loud enough.

So, back to the headphone out, which I know isn't the best and clearest way of doing it.

What other options are there ?

I'm James.

I use one of these wee beauties : http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-192KHz-.../dp/B005PWPUW6

Perfectly acceptable sound quality for watching TV, the output level is ever so slightly lower than my other digital sources but not by much... I wonder why the one you purchased was so quiet ? Do you use a passive pre ?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

There are normally RCA analogue outs on modern tellies, just run straight to your pre/amp.

Alternatively, if you use a Sky box, that will have both digital coax and analogue outs also.

You could also try this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-head...item1e5dd18cde

Will do the job.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm lewis.

[QUOTE=istari_knight;502719]I use one of these wee beauties : http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-192KHz-.../dp/B005PWPUW6

Perfectly acceptable sound quality for watching TV, the output level is ever so slightly lower than my other digital sources but not by much... I wonder why the one you purchased was so quiet ? Do you use a passive pre ?[/QUOTE

That was my thought too .....why was it so quiet ? My preamp is the Quad 34 with input sensitivities of 300mv and 100mv (CD,Tape and 100mv for the FM4 Tuner) and although I could get a little more gain from the 100mv input, I still had to wind up the volume to what should be ear-splitting level !
    Unfortunately no real spec came with the Ebay thing and the seller couldn't enlighten me either - as mentioned, he did send a replacement which was exactly the same ...... Am wondering if the TV model just has an abnormally low or attenuated digi out level.
    It does have an attenuation control but that defaults at 0db - whereas I need a boost !

My Samsung doesn't have RCA analogue outs and I don't use a Sky box so no help there I'm afraid.
    Currently running the headphone out to the preamp with a mini jack to RCA lead, which works fine, although as I've said it's not an ideal connection

I'm Martin.

Nothing wrong with having to wind the vol on the pre all the way up - it won't harm anything - but if it is still not enough a proper DAC with optical input in between TV and Pre would do it. The analogue outs on my TV don't work so I have to daisy-chain with a SCART into an old VCR and analogue out from that into the amp. Works fine. DVD is SCART from the TV then analogue 4.1 out to the 7 channel amp and powered sub.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread