+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help/ Advice on a start up rig

I'm James.

Well, my recs were made solely with the OP in mind. He wanted half decent budget yet retro looking kit [and yes I was referring to the rosewood veneered 505-2 which is actually not bad at all.] I'm yet to see anyone else suggest anything that fits that criteria...

If the gloves are off & Jayson is willing to consider kit from any period I suggest scrapping the idea of a vintage TT & getting a Pro-Ject Debut. I've had a couple, they are fantastic value for money & the bundled cart is perfectly good enough [Ortofon OM5/OM10]. I would also draw your attention to the fact lots of Denon 250se/350se amps don't have an internal phono stage fitted as it was an optional extra. IMO you would do well to look at Rotel's amplifiers [RA-820BX etc...] which have always sounded entertaining with the likes of Mordaunt-Short MS10i / MS20i.

I'm Nodrog.

I'd second the positive comments on the Pioneer TT. I used to have a PL12D and have just bought a cheap PL112D with the intention of breaking it for parts. However, having got it, its in immaculate condition and once I fitted a new belt (still easily available) it looks and sounds terrific. For a starter deck its definitely right up there with the best.

I've tried it with three cartridges. One really cheap Audio Technica for 45s, a Shure M75ED and a Rega Elan. All sound surprisingly competent and convince me more than ever that hi-fi inhabits a world of hugely diminishing returns.

I'm Jayson.

Morning all!

Andy - That's very kind of you! I can assure you they'll be going to a good home, i'll PM you at some point for me details and that. Are you much into your bike maintenance? I can send you some 2100 Chrome Steel Ball Bearings - grade 10s which are as round as your going to get before going ceramic, got them in 3/16 and 1/4 sizes for hubs and bottom bracket. Let me know, i just dunno if i could accept anything for free! The name has a bit of history to it but that's another story. I am re-thinking about the A60 now so i'll have to get my 10 lashes via another means.

Wazoo - The Dual 505-2 i'm looking at does have the rosewood surround on it and is in fantastic condition whereas the Pioneer has a crack clear lid, to be fair i thought it looked rather nice but i still think my mind is leaning towards the PL-12D now after much reading, it seems like a classic budget TT for it's time.

James - I appreciate all the vintage suggestions and after a sly chat with the misses this morning i think going modern is a very bad idea! Do like the look of the Mordaunt-Short MS10i and can pick them up fairly cheap it seems.

Nodrog - thanks for your input on the Pioneer, she'll love it!

Right as i mentioned earlier i did have a wee chat with my other half this morning and I'm going back to the old school before i end up in hospital. At the end of the day we're all searching for our own perfection and i need to respect hers. Considering what she is coming from anything i get will be a massive set up for her. It'll be the pioneer PL-12D, the A60, and then i'm starting to rethink the Missions, i dunno if they might be too big for her whereas something like the Mordaunt-Shorts might be more reasonable.

Again appreciate all the input!

I'm Jayson.

I know you guys love your photos although maybe not this one! Just thought i'd show you what she's coming from so you get an idea of of what an upgrade this will be for her.

I'm Martin.

Holy mother of god...what is that?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm andy.

Hi Jayson,

Thanks for your kind gesture, as it happens i bought some to service Shimano hubs but extra balls won't go amiss,you sure you have enough to spare?.

No disrespect but had a wee giggle at your GF's hifi, reason being the last time i saw one of them, it was advertisement placed next to stairlifts, incontinence aids,
    Daniel O'Donell cd's, as long as it plays music, thats all it matters eh...

When you get your 10 lashes, just hum this wee tune, ''green grow the lashes 'O, green grow the lashes O'ooo,the sweetest hoor that e'er i spent,was spent amang the Lassies...'O '', enjoy.

pm coming.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Jayson.

I've got plenty to spare - i usually buy 500 at a time to save on costs so i'll give you enough for a re-service including a few extra? 3/16 for front and 1/4 for rear/BB? PM me with amounts, i know my old 600s take 22 front, 18 on the back and then i think 18 for BB.

I wouldn't really say it plays music, more likes destroys it - it has a certain crackly, hissy charm to it though I'll bare the song in mind although I'm sure i'll be thinking of other things!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Holy mother of god...what is that?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lace'd Taste View Post
    I know you guys love your photos although maybe not this one! Just thought i'd show you what she's coming from so you get an idea of of what an upgrade this will be for her.

I can't find the link but there is a guy on YouTube taking one of these apart after he was given one for Christmas. I suspect she may notice a slight difference in sound quality. The problem is that so many people think this is all that is required. I regularly ask on one of our local networks if anyone has any old hi-fi for sale (you know the sort of thing "Oh sorry mate but those Garrard 301s are such old technology now, I suppose I could stretch to €5) However, all I have ended up with so far is the likes of Fidelity. When I see what they have bought to replace it, its always one of these monsters. So neat, has all you need in one box. They always insist on demonstrating their new toy.

What can I say?

I'm andy.

Jayson,

Wow that's a lot of balls if i may say so and you know your bikes, think that was what i got when i bought some to service my Deore LX Parallax hubs.

p.s. the tune is Robert Burns' ''green grow the rashes''. i subbed the rashes to lashes.
    Frank...made me do it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast