+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help/ Advice on a start up rig

I'm Jayson.

Default Help/ Advice on a start up rig

Hi all,

So my main reason for joining these forums was to get some advice on a low cost start up rig although after having a read around i'll definitely be here for the long run! My girlfriend is big into her vinyl and her "setup" is one of those all in one cheap modern remakes which I'm looking to completely replace for her this Christmas. We had a look around town and she has spotted a Dynatron HFC51 that she really likes, it comes with some old Dynatron speakers too but for £300 (I saw one go for £30 on the eBays and there's one on there for £70 inc delivery) i thought they were having a laugh, the sound was extremely muddy. I explained to her what seperates are and the benefits, customisation, quality etc so I've got her keen on the idea.

Now my background in hi-fi is rather limited, I know nothing about vinyl/ record players. I used to own a Marantz Stereo Amp and CD player wired to some B&W 685s yet downsized to some Alessandro MS2i cans and a Audio GB 15.32 dual wolfson chip DAC/headphone amp wired to my laptop so I have somewhat of a rig but my wallet can't really get me much more for now. My budget is around £200 +/- £50. I've been looking at the 'ebay bargains" thread abit and reading the "cheap as chips under £100" thread which in my opinion was a brilliant idea - needs a revival! Watching the "NAD 8020e" bookshelf speakers at the mo which were posted on eBay Bargains, and saw a pair of Cambrigde audio S20 speakers second hand for £60 in town although i feel they're just too modern for her liking.

So has anyone got any opinions/ advice on what to look out for, what to avoid? All opinions are welcome. Her taste is basically vintage but genuine, nothing fake - also she hates anything "over electronic" and cheap plastic looking - technics would be a bad option for her. Her music preference is punk, so Black Flag, The Slits, Bikini Kill, Clash etc but she enjoys The Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Lauren Hill, Reggae, Soul, Blues etc.

If anyone in the Newcastle/North East area has any components that they want to get rid of then please get in touch.

Cheers,

Jayson

I'm James.

I would keep an eye out for a good quality budget belt drive deck, an A&R A60 amplifier would probably be perfect & then some nice sealed standmounts.

Pioneer PL-12D / Pioneer PL112D / Sansui SR-222 / Dual CS505... I know there's loads more but I cant recall.

A&R A60... I would have also recommended NAD 3020/7020 but they are very plasticky.

Any Acoustic Research speaker that has been refoamed [I'm yet to hear a bad one] JPW Sonata / Monitor Audio R252... Speakers like the Mordaunt-Short Pageant II & Celestion Ditton 15 might suit but I would advise having a listen before parting with any cash.

Food for thought anyway

I'm Geoff.

I'd go along with the PL12D as a reliable starter deck with pretty decent sound quality and maybe a budget/midrange Denon amp (PMA250SE/PMA350SE) with a pair of original Mission 780SE speakers. That'd work!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd go along with the PL12D as a reliable starter deck with pretty decent sound quality and maybe a budget/midrange Denon amp (PMA250SE/PMA350SE) with a pair of original Mission 780SE speakers. That'd work!
    If they are happy with more modern looking gear then yeah, cant go wrong with the Denon/Missions

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not vintage, but you'd have spend a lot more to better it-

http://www.templeaudio.net/bantamgold.html

A few here use them. There are mono blocks if more power is required.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Jayson.

Thanks a lot lads, i didn't expect to get home and have all these lovely models to google so soon. I'm leaning towards the Dual CS505, there's a lovely one online for £20 at the moment with a Ortofon PM10 Cartridge and Stylus and in great working condition - dark wood veneer too which'll keep me in her good books till New Years at least! Any thoughts on this Cartridge? If i can get it for under the £50 mark i may be tempted to replace the cartridge too.

I like the look of the A&R A60, i'll have to get some DIN-RCA leads for em, in regards to the Batamgold it is a bit too modern for her but not for me! (another £190 theoretically spent)

Theres a pair of the Mission 780SE's going for £50 at the moment, veneer matches the turntable which is a plus but not really necessary, a bit worried she won't have the room. The JPW Sonata are a bit smaller but then again can always make room for the Missions, any thoughts on pairing the Missions with the A&R A60? Loving the look of the Celestion Ditton 15, won't really get a chance to audition any of these unfortunately so really have to hit the nail on the head, until she wants to upgrade etc.

Thanks for all this, it's great getting some names and models i can get on and research!

I'm Geoff.

In my opinion Jayson, the Dual 505 is a bit 'plasticky' and lightweight compared to the Pioneer PL12D, which is a very reliable and decent sounding unit. I've owned all the turntables in this thread and I'd go with the Pioneer myself (I've got a soft spot for them as they always work well). Can't comment on the Ortofon as I've not tried that model. But, I've owned the A60 amp and in my view it's totally outclassed by the Denon PMA350SE which will blow it away completely for even less money (yes I've had one of those too). By the way, the JPWs and Ditton 15s are nowhere near as good as the Missions!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jayson.

Thanks Geoff,

I've been reading a few threads online comparing the Dual to the Pioneer and although it's a mix bag the majority are leaning towards the Pioneer. I'm watching this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIONEER-PL...item27dae785b4 and as you can see in the description there is mention of a pre-amp installed in it, was this standard for the PL-12D or has this unit been customised? Also come with a SHURE M75EJ TYPE 2 CARTRIDGE & A SHURE EJ T2 STYLUS, it's a shure thing right? hardy harr.......

If the Denon is noticeably better then yes i would prefer to go that route as your right in the fact the A60 are still going for a fair wad of cash and i think id have to purchase special 2 pin DIN connectors for the speaker inputs on the models I'm looking at. The plus about the a60 is i think she'll prefer the look where's the Denon she may feel I'm purchasing for myself (i am whipped to a degree ) Also the A60 would fit better on her shelf.

Any other suggestions on an amp that maybe has similar stylings/ form factor of the A60 with a better sound, might be a stretch as I've never seen anything like the A60 before, if not it may have to be a shelf extension and veneer job!

I'm andy.

Morning Jayson,

My advice is listen to Geoff, sound advice IMO, especially regarding CS505 and A&R A60,
    if you go for the Mission 780's and want a one make rig, pen in the Cyrus one amp which can be had for not a lot of dough.

As a fellow cyclist, i'd like to donate a pair of speaker cables to you, they are the Belkin one's some rave about,
    2.5 metres with banana plugs and immaculate condition,just PM me your details and i'll drop them in the post for you.

BTW, brill user name.
    ---------------------------------------

Here!....Here!...just re-read your post above, i'd go for anything other than A60 then if it results you getting a bit of 'Spandex on flesh', happy dayz mate.
    Last edited by wiicrackpot; 22-11-2013 at 08:18. Reason: whipping
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm ChrisB.

I think the advice you have been receiving about the Dual is somewhat misplaced as you have the wood plinth version was / is considerably better than the very much more common one with the nasty plastic effort. Those comments you read on other sites almost certainly refer to that. Geoff can, I'm sure, confirm whether he was taking account of the difference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast