+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do all plasma TVs do a bad job with SD ?

I'm Mike.

Default Do all plasma TVs do a bad job with SD ?

Our main diet of TV is via old style Tivo.

So many reviews of TVs sat HD is great, but often as not specifically say SD is poor

Is this common ?

Are there Panasonics, Pioneers and maybe others that do a good job on both or are they mutually exclusive ?
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I have a Panasonic G30 plasma and SD looks very good on it ! It's a fine telly though with one very odd negative , the onboard tuner is very sensitive to interference ?

Basically whenever a car passes my house it cuts out the signal, very odd ? So we use our youview box instead.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Mike.

Thanks
    Looked up a review and found SD and HD both good

You said "G30"
    Can you tell me what the rest of "TX-P42G30B" means
    I can work out 42 myself !

They have so many different numbers, maybe only a few base models
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

MartinT Guest

My Panasonic plasma does a pretty damn good job of SD, although I set my Sky box to 1080i at all times so the upsampling takes care of it. However, if I use the Freeview tuner in the Panny, SD looks perfectly fine (though, obviously, lower resolution). Have a look at it when you're next at mine so that you can get an idea of it for real.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Can you tell me what the rest of "TX-P42G30B" means
    Ooh, mine's that model. The 42 is obvious and the G30B is the series.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I think Pannys are generally regarded as amongst the best of the plasmas, certainly all of the Viera range that I have seen have been very good.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    My Panasonic plasma does a pretty damn good job of SD, although I set my Sky box to 1080i at all times so the upsampling takes care of it. However, if I use the Freeview tuner in the Panny, SD looks perfectly fine (though, obviously, lower resolution). Have a look at it when you're next at mine so that you can get an idea of it for real.
    Thanks Martin
    Kept reading so many reviews of the ones I was looking at on Ebay saying that the SD was poor

Mike

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Ooh, mine's that model. The 42 is obvious and the G30B is the series.
    What does the rest mean and how relevant is it ?
    TX-P 42 G30 B

TX-P (size) (Model ?) B

Sometimes it has more characters or numbers

Mike

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I think Pannys are generally regarded as amongst the best of the plasmas, certainly all of the Viera range that I have seen have been very good.
    Panasonic is the favourite for sure. I also have Pioneer in my sights as recommended in the very emporium as well as elsewhere

Mike

MartinT Guest

If you want a Panny you need to act fast. They've ceased production of all plasma screens. It's a terrible shame as that only leaves Samsung making plasma displays. I far prefer them to LCD, although OLED is the best of all (way too expensive right now).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast