+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On-Topic Photographs - How?? (...please)

I'm David.

these two pictures demonstrate how right you indeed are
    but it does also demonstrate my point

with out

with

you can see how it would be a benefit in this situation so as to show off the screen of the radio
    not perhaps up to the quality of your pictures but this is what i was getting at none the less

I'm David.

tripod shot:
    shot at f3.2 to get shallow depth of field
    0.6 of a second to get sence of motion
    iso 800 to get the other settings
    60mm macro lens

prosess in lightroom: corners darkened to draw the eye to the centre, curves tweaked to increase contrast, blacks up

what you recon, first time i have had ago at taking a photo of the hifi properly.. im pretty chuffed with it

I'm Clive.

The pic above is a little yellow but in this situation it's a pleasing effect. Change WB to remove the yellow (when you want it fixing).

More generally: flash can be a bit brutal on its own, even when bounced, try adding some extra lighting to fill-in, I use halogens on a couple of stands, about 5 halogens, this of course makes the pics yellow but setting the white balance to 3000 restores natural colour. This is a lot cheaper than buying studio lighting!
    Last edited by Clive; 02-06-2009 at 21:29.

I'm David.

i kept the warmer white balance on perpous i though it made it look pretty ...
    also as the cartridge its self is a gold colour keeping the yellow/gold tint over the rest of the image just seemed to make sence to me
    i guess its a personal style thing as much as anything else

im a great beliver in creating images that look right to my eye as aposed to technically correct. i guess thats a personal thing too

I'm Clive.

I agree in that yellow for that pic works. You wouldn't want all you pics to be yellow though, so that's why I made the comment. Whereas you're very well aware of WB, not everyone is. Great pic BTW!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
    tripod shot:
    shot at f3.2 to get shallow depth of field
    0.6 of a second to get sence of motion
    iso 800 to get the other settings
    60mm macro lens

prosess in lightroom: corners darkened to draw the eye to the centre, curves tweaked to increase contrast, blacks up

what you recon, first time i have had ago at taking a photo of the hifi properly.. im pretty chuffed with it

What a beautiful photo and sir what clean vinyl you have...

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm David.

i did some of the pictures in the mens section on here
    http://www.fly53store.com/category/1
    that was the experience that tought me the most about white balance it had to be perfect every shot out of the camera as the colour has to be spot on acurate so the customer get spot on what they epect too
    took a lot of fiddleing!! i used some 5000k lights but for some reason, im guessing the small amout of ambient light from the adjacent room or reflected light from the suroundings the camera had to be set to about 4900k with a slight bias to magenta
    you would think with 5000k lights it would be simple....
    ... like a said i learnt a lot on that job!!

I'm David.

cheers for the nice comments btw
    neil, its a new record... they dont stay like that unfortunatly!!
    Last edited by The Vinyl Adventure; 03-06-2009 at 14:57.

I'm Shaun.

When I was ten years old I was a pathetic chemistry and physics swat and that's what led to me getting involved in photography. Back then photography was 90% chemistry but apart from that I studied the whole history of photography as well so that as the years went by, I gained more insight into photography. Later I worked for twenty seven years in a large corporate situation and now despise the whole chemistry scene with a passion.

You are quite correct in your description of light and how it either passes or gets blocked by a polariser. If memory serves me right, the light reflecting off a metallic surface is called 'specular' light and this is not affected by a polariser. Only light of a single dimension or flatness is blocked by a polariser. That's enough of that...!!!

Regarding the taking of stunning Hi-Fi photographs... it is not in the camera... it is in your head. The only thing restricting you is your own imagination.

I'm Shaun.

White balance is a nightmare and ultimately you need to setup a custom white balance in your camera by using a white card under the lighting conditions you will be using for the shoot. The easy way is to adjust the colour balance in Photoshop. (Image/Adjustments/Colour Balance).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast