+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mike New ETP Platter

Mike_New Guest

It really is very thick oil!!!!

I'm Richard.

Martin. Is that no warble now at 45rpm?
    Or is warble something you can live with for the other benefits?

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    Using just platter without a mat is also possible but I found that bass was a lot stronger, not boomy, though with some recordings far too strong for my tastes. Having said that most classical recordings, mostly symphonic, were served well with a naked platter.
    Interesting, John. I haven't found that at all. Bass is well defined and balanced in my system.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    So it is more meaningful and universal to say this platter is made of POM or Acetal.
    Thanks, Ken. I was going to mention POM but thought it was one acronym too many!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Exclamation Reality check required...

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    The fact you sold 20 and AOS have suddenly become interested in it (which is 100% solely down to Audio Al) is good news for all Techy owners worldwide as it will now be more widely known as the platter to beat!
    Lol - you do get rather over-excited sometimes, dude, and have the propensity to lose focus of the facts!

Firstly, Mike was selling his platters (ETP and aluminum composite) direct to people here long before you got involved.

Secondly, you and Mike wouldn't be working together in the first place, in any capacity (including you selling his platter to anyone here), if it wasn't for me asking Mike to appoint you as the UK distributor for his products, when he was a bit disheartened with sales drying up for his bearings, via their promotion soley on AoS.

You might have been talking about the platter between you for a while without finalising anything, but you wouldn't have a working partnership now, but for my intervention. It would be nice if you remembered that and had the courtesy to acknowledge it.

Thirdly, John (prestonchipfryer) was, to my knowledge, the first person on AoS to buy an ETP platter, so he must get the greatest credit for being the original one to bring the ETP to the attention of the members of AoS. I think that Rob (RobbieGong) was next to buy one and sing its praises.

Therefore, no disrespect to Al (he knows I lurves him, lol), but the daftee hasn't even fitted his platter yet, or commented in any way as to its efficacy, so I'm at a loss to see how it is 100% solely down to him why the ETP is now getting the recognition it deserves!!

The reason why that is happening now, and why "AoS have suddently become interested in it", without blowing my own trumpet, is because I asked Mike to send either Martin or me (via you as his UK distributor), an ETP platter for auditioning. I pushed for that to happen because I suspected that the ETP would be very good, and because I thought it was unfair that Mike's 'other platter', as it were, wasn't getting the recognition/promotion it deserved because neither Martin nor I had had the opportunity to try it.

Of course, now Martin (whose views are widely respected, and rightly so) has tried it, likes it and has bought one, reviewing it very favourably here, the situation is rather different! When I get my ETP platter, and if I feel the same way as Martin does, and buy one, and we both proceed to promote it on the forum from now on, *then* it will be widely known as the platter to beat.....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    Martin. Is that no warble now at 45rpm?
    Or is warble something you can live with for the other benefits?
    If you caught the point I was making about platter weights and the braking adjustment, the ETP has about the same rotational momentum as the Technics stock platter. I could hear no warble from speed correction artifacts at either speed.

I'm Mike.

Be interesting to compare your rig now with mine and the Funk/Oyaide combination
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Be interesting to compare your rig now with mine and the Funk/Oyaide combination
    Yes, it will. Why don't you come over to mine this time?

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Interesting, John. I haven't found that at all. Bass is well defined and balanced in my system.

Martin, this was using a Sumiko bps and I have just fitted my 2m black and played without a mat. Bass is now a little leaner. So it was probably the cartridge more than the platter.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Thirdly, John (prestonchipfryer) was, to my knowledge, the first person on AoS to buy an ETP platter, so he must get the greatest credit for being the original one to bring the ETP to the attention of the members of AoS.

Marco.
    Marco, I'm sure there is some info, re ETP platter, I put on AoS 18 months or so but I'm blowed if I can locate it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast