+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mike New ETP Platter

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

So how would you describe the 'Funk sound' in comparison?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Having had a MN ETP platter now for 18 months I am not surprised Martin likes it. Mine has a label recess and I have tried various mats, Achromat, Oyaide, felt and rubber. I didn't like the Achromat as it recessed midrange somewhat. The Oyaide works very well but also a felt mat, surprisingly, also works well for me.

Using just platter without a mat is also possible but I found that bass was a lot stronger, not boomy, though with some recordings far too strong for my tastes. Having said that most classical recordings, mostly symphonic, were served well with a naked platter.

I am looking forward to Marcos findings and David Brooks opinion.

John

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Interesting, John... All I can say is that I'm glad I pushed for the ETP platter to be auditioned in this way. It wouldn't have happened otherwise!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ken.

Just to correct the information in Martins original posting:

ETP (Engineering Thermo Plastics) this is not a material, it is a generic term applied to all thermoplastics that have good structural properties suitable for more demanding performance criteria.

Delrin is a brand name of DuPont and this brand has approximately 20% of the market for the material, which is Polyoxymethylene (POM) sometimes called Acetal.

If you look at a recycling logo on a moulded product it will say POM.

As DuPont is primarily American the majority of UK users will use a different brand name to Delrin.

So it is more meaningful and universal to say this platter is made of POM or Acetal.

I'm Andrew.

Martin,

How do you find the bass? One of the benefits of the mixed Cu/Al platter was hefty bass, does this new mat lose any?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Robert.

Hi Martin, Reading your review it was apparent to me you knew what you were talking about . Your findings were mine to a T. The ETP gives music a presentation that simply sounds right ! and as you say whilst not making bad recordings sound better which is a good sign. It was the icing on the cake for me in so much as making me realise what all the other upgrades (Mike New Bearing, arm, external psu, Isonoes etc) combined had ultimately achieved. Do me a favour Martin - Could you, if you get the chance try the ETP with the softer 3mm stock mat. I and the guy who first reviewed Mikes ETP found that combination to be best to our ears. I'm glad you've joined the ETP club, along with myself, John (Prestonchipfryer) and others, it's a lovely well thought out and well engineered upgrade platter for sure, you just get a sense it's gonna be good when you have it in your hands, and it sure does once installed and all the usual arm set up is done.
    Blessings
    Rob

Oh Andrew, I can tell you that again the bass is just right, not incorrectly lightweight but not over emphasised either - just right. If the track is bassy you'll hear it proper if it isnt you wont get more than is, if you know what i mean !

Mike_New Guest

Wow seems that all of a sudden the ETP platter is now the one!!
    In fact I have sold about 20 of them spread around the world since I first announced it about 18 months ago. It would seem that a sort of secondary opinion/advice network has grown around it in that time, with orders coming in from various countries in Europe the US and Canada
    and of course my part of the globe.
    For those that may be contemplating trying to do the same:
    The matterial is indeed a variety of Delrin the generic term for a whole range of Acetals, Generally made by DuPont in Germany.
    However this is a particular very high grade formula from the US made specifically for aero space, mining and chemical applications that has no voids and can be machined to high accuracy.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_New View Post
    Wow seems that all of a sudden the ETP platter is now the one!!
    In fact I have sold about 20 of them spread around the world since I first announced it about 18 months ago. It would seem that a sort of secondary opinion/advice network has grown around it in that time, with orders coming in from various countries in Europe the US and Canada
    and of course my part of the globe.
    For those that may be contemplating trying to do the same:
    The matterial is indeed a variety of Delrin the generic term for a whole range of Acetals, Generally made by DuPont in Germany.
    However this is a particular very high grade formula from the US made specifically for aero space, mining and chemical applications that has no voids and can be machined to high accuracy.
    Trying to copy your platter Mike or indeed make one from scratch is not for the feint hearted, I looked at Martins before I sent it and it's full of clever bits of engineering and precise set up is required as you well know, I doubt if anyone can come up with something that beats it anytime soon, if ever. The fact you sold 20 and AOS have suddenly become interested in it (which is 100% solely down to Audio Al) is good news for all Techy owners worldwide as it will now be more widely known as the platter to beat! With your bearing as well the Techy has truly come of age!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Just to correct the information in Martins original posting:

ETP (Engineering Thermo Plastics) this is not a material, it is a generic term applied to all thermoplastics that have good structural properties suitable for more demanding performance criteria.

Delrin is a brand name of DuPont and this brand has approximately 20% of the market for the material, which is Polyoxymethylene (POM) sometimes called Acetal.

If you look at a recycling logo on a moulded product it will say POM.

As DuPont is primarily American the majority of UK users will use a different brand name to Delrin.

So it is more meaningful and universal to say this platter is made of POM or Acetal.
    The first job I ever had involved stress testing strips of Amcel Acetal Copolymer and other plastics produced by American Celanese. By f*&k it was boring.

Sat in a tech lab looking out on a warehouse full of cement sized sacks of the stuff... pellets were generally everywhere.

It didn't last long... a summer job whilst still at school.

The thing is at the time that company really was producing some ground breaking plastics. Think the introduction of the plastic jug kettle. My father clinched the first sales deals with Kenwood etc and was responsible for setting up the first UK Amcel branch with a couple of other ex-ICI dudes if I remember correctly.

I'm Ken.

Yeh, Kenwood and Russell Hobbs both used Acetal on their first plastic Kettles (I designed a few for Russell Hobbs) but the material pre dates them by several decades. Acetal has some good properties and is easy to machine so not suprised to see Mike has used it on his ETP platter. DuPont developed some of the great materials, including Nylon, where the name is derived from their New York and London Laboratory's who jointly made the same break through.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast