+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Marco's cleaning process with new vinyl, using an RCM

I'm Al.

The cleaning solutions with IPA and distilled water are what I use but not the washing up detergent. Instead I use about 3-4 drops of dish washer "rinse aid" which performs the same job as the photoflo and Ilfoto stuff but is a lot cheaper. The only purpose of the photographic solution or this addition is to break the surface tension of the liquid and allow it to flow properly into the grooves.

I'm ChrisB.

But washing up liquid is also an excellent surfactant - that's why some people use it. Not so the records will have the Fairy liquid finish.

I'm Nodrog.

Has anybody else tried the glue method??

I'm still not sure I could do this to an LP but I dragged an old single down from the loft this afternoon. It had been out of its cover and was covered in dirt, builders dust and the old spider's web

Slapped some PVA on and left it out in the sun for an hour. The glue then peeled off in one piece and left one pristine looking surface. Popped it on the PL112D in the bedroom (wasn't going to risk the EPC205) and it sounded fine. It showed how well it worked as, when the cartridge hit the run out groove where the glue didn't reach, there was a sudden 'orrible noise, pops, graunches you name it. You can feel the grooves on the glue so it appears to reach down quite well.

I will definitely try this on the 78s before I record them.

I'm Andr'e.

do you think the cheaper thinner PVA would be better?

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    do you think the cheaper thinner PVA would be better?
    I suppose if it were a bit thinner it might dig deeper. PVA is water soluble so maybe some distilled to be on the safe side. Worth a try for really grubby boot sale finds!!

I'm ChrisB.

It's been discussed several times on AoS Gordon. Do a search for PVA, but also for wood glue.
    I think the general feeling is that, while it works to some degree, it' not worth the faff - and it really is a faff if you've got a lot to do. It takes a lot of time and it's not actually very cheap when you work it out. My own worry is that having unprotected records lying around in various states of drying is a recipe for getting them badly scratched.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I think the general feeling is that, while it works to some degree
    I think this is the important bit. I wonder how well it works compared with water based ideas.

Whilst it is a bit of a pain to do, the glue is very easily available and for someone like me who always has gallons of the stuff in the workshop, its less of a problem than getting the other ingredients together.

Anyway, this is a bit of a thread drift, sorry about that but I found it surprising how clean the record was after treatment.

I'm Scott.

I am a carpenter/joiner by trade.
    My opinion is PVA glue just seems a harsh way of cleaning.
    Its design is not for record cleaning.
    There is no way i would use it, it makes a hell of a mess even on timber!
    But as i said THIS is only my opinion.
    cheers
    EK

Vinyl is the real deal. I've always felt like, until you buy the vinyl record, you don't really own the album.

I'm Geoff.

I use a belt sander and a chisel for stubborn lumps of cack. Seems to work a treat.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I use a belt sander and a chisel for stubborn lumps of cack. Seems to work a treat.
    Does this method remove static? lol

Vinyl is the real deal. I've always felt like, until you buy the vinyl record, you don't really own the album.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast