+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Marco's cleaning process with new vinyl, using an RCM

I'm Mike.

L Art Du Son really does what it claims, and i wouldn't exchange it for anything else. Yes, it has a best before date and you need to be really clinical when mixing, storing and handling the stuff.
    It's life, but not as we know it!
    I gave a bottle of premixed to my friend to try on his Okki, but i was cheap and used a used bottle (used for and old mixture of cleaning fluid, so nuttin worse)
    Within two months some form of mold had grown in his solution and it was useless.
    However, i o this doesn't have any bearing as the records are cleaned and dried and my opinion is that nothing will grow, or even stay on the surface after the cleaning.

For me, cleaning also removes any static build up and i think youre overusing the vaccum Marco!

Best regards Mike

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    For me, cleaning also removes any static build up and i think youre overusing the vaccum Marco!
    Lol - not really, Mike... I guess that there's a fine line between ensuring that the record is bone dry, after completing the cleaning process (and I mean genuinely bone dry, not merely 'bone dry,' after having given the playing surface a quick glance), and that all grunge removed has been successfully sucked clean from the grooves, and minimising static build-up.

I find that my method of fastidious cleaning (and utilizing the Zerostat gun at the end to remove any small amount of static, remaining from the drying process), produces superb results - the best that I've ever achieved.

YMMV

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Each to his own Marco!

And, by the way, i recently got a tip concerning cleaning liquid:
    In Sweden floors are usually made from laminated board, called click floor tiling, or "klinker" which is some form of stone, quite like slate. But also, a lot of apartments and house have floor mats which are made from vinyl, yes quite like the material used for our precious liquorice pizza's! Anyway, the cleaning material for these floors have been found to be extremely good for cleaning records too! And as you can imagine, the price is very low and availability high.

Tarkett Bioclean

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up

Excellent tip, Mike. Thanks for sharing

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

Have you considered using Johnsons baby shampoo for the detergent ?, if its not harmful to baby's eyes & skin it must be gentle on your vinyl, just a thought

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Pan.

I have been using an okki nokki with L'art du son (i mix 20ml with 1L distilled water) and I still get loads of crackle I only vacuum for two rotations. I thoroughly rinse with distilled water after wash , wait to dry, place in anti-static sleeve, use the zerostat gun. I have replaced my stylus. I use studio monitors (Adam A5x) with my LP12 (herbie mat). Is there anything I can do?

BTW I stopped using the tonar anti-static brush since it scratched all my records!!!!
    BTW 2 when I rinse with distilled water the water just seems to float on the surface. Should I be using a wetting agent? I have Tetenal Mirasol 2000 antistatic.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Junglefire View Post
    I have been using an okki nokki with L'art du son (i mix 20ml with 1L distilled water) and I still get loads of crackle I only vacuum for two rotations. I thoroughly rinse with distilled water after wash , wait to dry, place in anti-static sleeve, use the zerostat gun. I have replaced my stylus. I use studio monitors (Adam A5x) with my LP12 (herbie mat). Is there anything I can do?

BTW I stopped using the tonar anti-static brush since it scratched all my records!!!!
    BTW 2 when I rinse with distilled water the water just seems to float on the surface. Should I be using a wetting agent? I have Tetenal Mirasol 2000 antistatic.
    You are doing something wrong. I would guess running the vac until records are beyond just dry. Maybe not using enough fluid ? Two rotations recommended, 3 max. I have had no need to use my Zerostat since buying an Okki Nokki. A second clean should remove any remaining static in bad cases. Make sure the L'art du son is thoroughly rinsed off. Wetting agent is not necessary. Also what brush are you using? I have found the MFSL brush is better than the supplied one which should still be used for scrubbing really dirty disks. I generally use the standard Okki Nokki concentrated cleaner and L'art du son for 'special' cases. Are you talking about new or used records when referring to persistent crackle?

Paul.

I'm Pan.

These are my exact steps:

1. place the record on the okki nokki. Take off the dust with cloth which came with AM record cleaner spray. Then wet with L'art du son solution. I mixed 20 ml of L'art du son with 1L of distilled water for my solution.
    2. Hold the MFSL brush gently on the record for 10 rotations clockwise and 10 anti clockwise.
    3. Hoover up using 3 rotations.
    4. Rinse with distilled water (aqua bidets) by holding a tonar wet goat brush (which has only been used with distilled water) for 10 rotations clockwise and 10 anti-clockwise on record.
    5. hoover up.
    6. Repeat step 4.
    7. place the record on the turntable and wait 10 minutes before playing. And shoot 4 times with zerostat.I do this while the record is on the TT. The tt is obviously switched off.
    8. clean the stylus with AT stylus cleaning formula and dip into onzow zero dust (2x).
    9. switch on preamp and monitors and switch on the tt.
    10. prepare for crackling

Where am I going wrong? The records are all brand new. There are tiny scratches on them caused by the tonar anti-static brush that I was using
    Last edited by Junglefire; 20-03-2014 at 15:03.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Junglefire View Post
    These are my exact steps:

1. place the record on the okki nokki. Take off the dust with cloth which came with AM record cleaner spray. Then wet with L'art du son solution. I mixed 20 ml of L'art du son with 1L of distilled water for my solution.
    2. Hold the MFSL brush gently on the record for 10 rotations clockwise and 10 anti clockwise.
    3. Hoover up using 3 rotations.
    4. Rinse with distilled water (aqua bidets) by holding a tonar wet goat brush (which has only been used with distilled water) for 10 rotations clockwise and 10 anti-clockwise on record.
    5. hoover up.
    6. Repeat step 4.
    7. place the record on the turntable and wait 10 minutes before playing. And shoot 4 times with zerostat.I do this while the record is on the TT. The tt is obviously switched off.
    8. clean the stylus with AT stylus cleaning formula and dip into onzow zero dust (2x).
    9. switch on preamp and monitors and switch on the tt.
    10. prepare for crackling

Where am I going wrong? The records are all brand new. Except for micro scratches caused by tonar anti-static brush they look great.
    It's a mystery on the face of it. It's possible the Tonar brush has done more damage and lots of micro scratches can cause crackle as I discovered with some records that stuck to the inner sleeve when new. I suggest re-clean with Okki Nokki fluid or similar (or make up your own with isopropyl similar to Marco's formula). If this doesn't work those records may be for the bin I'm afraid. BTW 10 revs each way with the MFSL brush is a bit excessive.

Paul.

I'm Pan.

Yes, fuck that tonar brush. I am listening to astral weeks at the moment. I never used the brush on this one, haven't cleaned it either. It cracks and pops now and then, but nothing as bad as the other records that have been sodomized by the tonar brush. I am getting two new records tomorrow. I will see what they sound like before I clean them and post clean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast